50 years ago!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
The Beatles released "Please Please Me". Makes a body feel old, but really happy to have experienced those days. They were unknowns at the time, and the song was released on a small label VeeJay records. The rest is history!

Check out the spelling on the label....

Attachments

• Beattles_Please_Please_Me.jpg.CROP.article250-medium.jpg
    Beattles_Please_Please_Me.jpg.CROP.article250-medium.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 37
Here's some "typo" info: http://www.beatlesagain.com/btypos.html

I love the Beatles! Funny you that you posted a "Beatles" thread, because I caught myself surfing the 'net for a few hours yesterday afternoon researching Abbey Lane, after I "stumbleupon"ed a rare photo that was auctioned off for ?16000 of the fab four walking in the opposite direction than what's captured on iconic Abbey Lane cover. Other differences: Paul's footwear and a missing or hidden cigarette.

The-auction-photo-of-the--008.jpg

I think Bill may be jumping the anniversary by a year, but I agree w/the sentiment.

Something I recall from my youth, they were the "Silver Beatles" when they played in Hamburg, Germany clubs before they returned to England and hit it big.

And stateside, I think one of the best 45's ever was "I want to hold your hand" and "I saw her standing there." If I was at home, I would take a picture of my original 45 I've had since then.

In college in MI, I recall that at one point you couldn't walk into the dorm w/o hearing someone, somewhere playing 'Abbey Road." One time, the whole floor had everyone who had a way to play it, all try to play it at the same time (the album) and it made for an eerie reverb effect, as no-one could exactly synch w/the next guy.

Here's an interesting article on the breakout of the 45:
http://www.beatlesebooks.com/hold-your-hand

Now, because of the increase in population and the internet 'downloads,' the records the Beatles set in sales are regularly broken by Rihannon, and other popular artists. I think it is safe to say, she will never have as-big an effect on culture as the Beatles and their contemporaries! I really-think this is a case of "ya hadda be there!"

From the website mentioned:

“England’s Phenomenal Pop Combo,” as the “Meet The Beatles!” front album cover called them, became America’s Phenomenal Pop Combo single-handedly with this monumental song. Most Americans alive in 1964 will undoubtedly say that “I Want To Hold Your Hand” was their indoctrination into Beatlemania. While their first three US single releases of 1963 only made tiny ripples in the pond that was American music, this single, rush-released on December 26th, 1963, was the tsunami that not only dominated the record charts, but monopolized the minds and hearts of the entire population of the country. Everyone, young and old, was curious of who the originator of this incredibly unique sounding music could be.

The original scheduled release of the single was for January 13th, 1964, but was moved up because of public demand. That demand originated, in part, from the results of one 15 year old girl in Washington D.C. named Marsha Albert. After seeing a November 16, 1963 feature on the CBS Evening News about the Beatles, she wrote a letter to a local radio station, WWDC, asking why they weren’t playing anything from this huge “sociological phenomenon,” as the news report called them. Even though the report featured the song “She Loves You,” WWDC disc jockey Carroll James arranged to have their recent British single brought over to the radio station (with the help of a stewardess on a flight from Britain) and played on the air on December 17th, introduced by Marsha Albert herself. That song was “I Want To Hold Your Hand.”

I was newly married when I heard the first US released Beatles song "I want to hold your hand" in early 64. I thought it was a silly song and awfully high pitched but they did some great songs through out their career. What I thought was unique about them was the variety of their music. They didn't seem to be stuck in any specific genre.

Music history considers Brian Epstein to be the Beatles' reason for success. Where the Rolling Stones were 'coarse,' the Beatles were polished because of Epstein's prescient influence. He knew there would be a place for a pop group that could reach a larger audience due to not being offensive or threatening. After being introduced on Ed Sullivan to American audiences, they never stopped until they fell-to arguing about writing credits and money after Epstein's death, and finally called it quits in 1970.

http://www.brianepstein.com/brian.html

Here's one for you-if you're "old-enough" to recall, apart from the concert on-top of the Apple office building, what was the date and location of the last Beatles concert? The answer may surprise some of you. Try to answer before googling.

I agree, they had so-many different sounds and influences. Their creative abilities separately and apart were arguably ahead of anyone else's group/body of work. If you consider a generation to be 20 years, can you name any other group who had such a far-ranging effect in society since that time? Not for the ensuing generations, in my opinion.

But if you want to submit "Justin Beiber," you may have me there...:rofl_200:

Candlestick park? Maybe that was the last US show... I don't know - I'm old and my brane isnt werking rite......

as for most influential...i'll guess:the rolling stones, elvis, michael jackson, velvet underground, dylan, hendrix???

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

courtesy of SF Weekly's All Shook Down
By Ian S. Port
Forty-six years ago today, on Aug. 29, 1966, the Beatles played the final live concert of their careers at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. Though many of the band's most timeless songs lay ahead of them, this Bay Area live date would mark the end of the Beatles as a touring entity. Freeing themselves from the burdens of live performance allowed the Liverpool foursome to become ever more daring and experimental in their studio work, which had already begun with the then-three-week-old Revolver, and would continue with the White Album, and, of course, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
(SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEOS)
While the band members of the band apparently knew it would be their final live show, the audience didn't. Listening to bootlegs of the set, one is struck by the tsunami of screaming fans in the audience, and how here, in 1966, the Beatles still seemed very much in the the early, heartthrob phase of their career. (Of course, this was arguably the second or third or even fourth phase for the band; the Fab Four had honed their live chops on obscure stages in Hamburg and elsewhere long before packs of dazed teenagers followed their every move.)
We've gathered some YouTube footage of the band's arrival in San Francisco and the crowd action at Candlestick -- along with the full bootlegged audio of the 11 songs played back in August '66. The recording is rough, echoey, and filled with teenage screams, but it's still worth a listen.
First, here's some (silent) footage of the Beatles arriving in San Francisco and of Candlestick Park fans before the show. Then, check out YouTube vids giving a full (admittedly rough) audio-only recording of the concert:

go to the site for the videos: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/29/beatles-final-show_n_1841549.html

As for 'ninjaneer's' list of 'most-influential,' and 'beekeeper's,' they surely have some heavy-hitters there. I would add John Mayall's bands as he used many of the Brits who went-on to superstardom when they were up & coming. A British melting-pot of the Chicago blues, as-performed by members of the Mississippi Delta originally, and other Deep-South (USA) performers, as-interpreted by UK performers and sold-back to us in the form of the British Invasion!

I also like the Kinks for their individual efforts, their longevity, still rockin' today, and their influence on the music that is so-enduring. Another band not-often mentioned on the US-side very often, Pretty Things. And one of my favorite groups ever, Pink Floyd. Like the Beatles, they were able to synthesize their own style and were very versatile. Know-how some songs put you 'back in the day?' The heavy-hitters surely do it for me!

Best white men singing black rhythm and blues? I nominate Rod Stewart and Eric Burdon, mentioned at the same time would be Ray Davies, Mick, and Pigpen.

It's going to be sad when these guys stop playing, of-course some are already gone. I don't go to many live concerts any more, but if any of the old guys do, there is a strong pull to go, you never know when they won't be around any-more.

Back