600 mile Eng. Oil Change - Any suggestions besides Yamalube?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have 600 miles on this Gen 2 after I ride this Sunday.

I have the owners Manual which states to use Yamalube brand Engine Oil and the Yamaha Geniune Shaft Drive Gear Oil.

Questions:
1) Yamalube Engine Oil... is this Dino Oil or some type of Synthetic? (the owners manual states to change the engine oil every 4,000 miles on the Yamalube, from now on)
2) can I use: Shell Rotella T6 - 15w40 Synthetic and if so, how many miles can the engine drive before the next oil change on this stuff?
3) I'll be using the Yamaha part # 9079E - SH001 - 00 Yamaha Geniune Shaft Drive Oil for the shaft drive.

*Any suggestions on any other Brands and Types/Synthetic or Semi Synthetic or Dino for the Engine Oil?
This is a pretty interesting video that caught my attention on Yamalube. I bought my 2019 VMAX last year with 1300 miles on it and have registered for this program. The break-in Oil was changed at the dealer at 600 miles that I received the back up for so I could sign up for this program. 20 years/100,000 mile warranty closed the deal for me and since your at your first oil change it will give you something to think about.

Video Link:

Program Link:
https://yamalubeadvantage.com/
Good luck!!

Synthetic oil alone doesn't warrant the clutch mod...performance mods do.

I'm not sure I agree. The flash removes speed limit restrictions and trims the fuel map. The vmax is a beast and I experienced slipping (with synthetic) before the flash and air box, exaust mod. The vmax stock has some serious horsepower and torque. The mods add some. I don't have the numbers but I'd guess it's marginal compared to stock. 5-10 hp is alot when you are already around 190hp.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree. The flash removes speed limit restrictions and trims the fuel map. The vmax is a beast and I experienced slipping (with synthetic) before the flash and air box, exaust mod. The vmax stock has some serious horsepower and torque. The mods add some. I don't have the numbers but I'd guess it's marginal compared to stock. 5-10 hp is alot when you are already around 190hp.

I suppose it's possible...could be the tire breaking loose just a bit too.

Ive used Mobil 1 4T 10/40 in everything Ive owned (mostly yamaha inline 4s) No issues and UOAs always come back with good results.

looking back I have to caveat this. Mobil 1 4T 10/40 has done well in all of my bikes except (maybe) the Vmax 1700 .

Ive done 4 UOAs between 2000-11500 miles on this bike and every time the oil has always sheard down to where the viscosity was just under where it is expected to be.

UOA says
SUS viscosity at 212 F should be between 65-76 and mine ranged between 61-63
cSt Viscosity at 100 C should be 11.6-14.8 and mine have ranged 10.5-11.4

Blackstone says its not a big deal but this hasnt happened with my FZ-1, FJR1300, FZX-700 or my Bking

Think I might try Yamalube synthetic or Amsoil 10-40 and see how they do

looking back I have to caveat this. Mobil 1 4T 10/40 has done well in all of my bikes except (maybe) the Vmax 1700 .

Ive done 4 UOAs between 2000-11500 miles on this bike and every time the oil has always sheard down to where the viscosity was just under where it is expected to be.

UOA says
SUS viscosity at 212 F should be between 65-76 and mine ranged between 61-63
cSt Viscosity at 100 C should be 11.6-14.8 and mine have ranged 10.5-11.4

Blackstone says its not a big deal but this hasnt happened with my FZ-1, FJR1300, FZX-700 or my Bking

Think I might try Yamalube synthetic or Amsoil 10-40 and see how they do

Why2k, how long did you go between oil changes, mileage & time? I'm thinking if you change it out a bit earlier, the oil might be within specs...just a thought.

Why2k, how long did you go between oil changes, mileage & time? I'm thinking if you change it out a bit earlier, the oil might be within specs...just a thought.

Oil change intervals before testing were
1,550 miles
975 miles
1350 miles
1975 miles
Not sure about time between changes. Usually I change it in November when I put the bike away for the winter and then usually in late August.

Oil change intervals before testing were
1,550 miles
975 miles
1350 miles
1975 miles
Not sure about time between changes. Usually I change it in November when I put the bike away for the winter and then usually in late August.

Okay...that's similar to my schedule, not a lot of riding. I change mine out at 6 months & will have around 1500-2000 miles. I wondering if you had higher than average mileage between changes, thinking that would account for viscosity being under what it should be but that aint the case.

Back