6th Annual Spring Ice Breaker

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thevmaxrider

Reaction score
Well, it's that time of year, the weather is getting warmer and it is time to announce the Ontario Spring Ice Breaker ride dates. We will again be sampling the hospitality in Port Dover, Ontario!! Hopefully folks from around the Great Lakes will attend!!!! Last year was quite the event!!

6th Annual Spring Ice Breaker

When: June 3rd, 4th, and 5th

Where: Port Dover, Ontario

Hotel: Angelo?s of Port Dover

Contact Jim Rodgers at [email protected] for more information

Come and join the Ontario Chapter of the VMOA at our annual Spring Ice Breaker ride. This year we will again be down on the shores of Lake Erie enjoying the hospitality of the local area. The area is known to be quite biker friendly. For reservations contact the hotel at 519-583-0416. Saturday night dinner is TBD.

U.S. riders need a passport to cross, right?
No, you can use a Nexus card available at your nearest Border Patrol or if like Michigan you can get a Enhanced Drivers License at your local Secretary of State Office.
I have a passport and a Nexus card but I just use the Nexus card because they have a special lane for Nexus card holders which saves a lot of time (saved me over a hour wait in line at Port Huron last year!). I think the Enhanced Drivers License get to travel in the same lanes as a Nexus card holders. My Nexus card cost me $50 and is good for 5 years, the Enhanced Drivers License (In Michigan) costs ~$40 and is good for 10 years! (I didn't find out about the EDL until after I had my Nexus:damn angry:)

Hope you can make it again this year!! Need someone to ride home with too!!!!! Going to be another great event. I checked and Toronto Motorsports Park Dragway, 30 minutes away from Port Dover or less, is having a test and tune night that night so maybe a few gents would like to hop on over and make a pass or two.:punk:

Won't be there this year, Jim. I made plans for Friday the 13th in Port Dover this May and can't see myself riding to the same spot 3 weeks later. I don't like the superslab that much! Have fun and ride safe!

Blaine

Well guys I think I'm going to pass this year. I wish I could go but it is not in the cards as I had to make a decision of here or Thunder. Since I have never been to Thunder and I see that a lot of the SIB regulars are going to attend I chose to go to Thunder.
I have a room booked at the Days Inn and need a roomate for the 2nd bed. PM me if you're looking for a place to stay at Thunder as I'd rather share with someone I know.

Last edited:
Well guys I think I'm going to pass this year. I wish I could go but it is not in the cards as I had to make a decision of here or Thunder. Since I have never been to Thunder and I see that a lot of the SIB regulars are going to attend I chose to to Thunder.
I have a room booked at the Days Inn and need a roomate for the 2nd bed. PM me if you're looking for a place to stay at Thunder as I'd rather share with someone I know.

It can get pricey to spend multiple weekends away in a short period of time. Friday the 13th, Icebreaker, and Thunder all are about a month apart. Gas, hotels, vacation time don't come cheap...a fellow has to pick and choose carefully these days to get the most out of their riding budget.

Blaine

Just made reservations at the Erie Beach Hotel ( Hotel Angelo's was full !! ) so it looks like my plans to attend this years Spring Ice Breaker in Port Dover are coming together :clapping:

Now, as long as the Canadian border / passport control police at Port Huron / Sarnia don't stop me and strip my V-Max down looking for contraban... I'll be OK. They don't do this to non-Canadian riders... do they ?? :ummm:

Just made reservations at the Erie Beach Hotel ( Hotel Angelo's was full !! ) so it looks like my plans to attend this years Spring Ice Breaker in Port Dover are coming together :clapping:

Now, as long as the Canadian border / passport control police at Port Huron / Sarnia don't stop me and strip my V-Max down looking for contraban... I'll be OK. They don't do this to non-Canadian riders... do they ?? :ummm:
I've never had a issue at the border while crossing on my bike. The Port Huron/ Sarnia crossing can be a helluva long wait. If you don't have a Nexus type card (RFID) you could be in for a 2+ hour slog crossing the border, it's worse coming back into the the United States for sure.
I stayed at the Erie Beach hotel which was nice, but unless you get a ground floor (rear of the bldg) you're going to be a long ways from your bike. There is a overhang that will protect your bike from rain if move the chairs and you park it close to the building. You will have a blast Jeff, good group of guys and some nice roads to ride on. One thing to watch out for though is the bug swarms we ran into, they were almost splashing off my little wind shield! I tried to get a as small as possible but it was crazy! We had to stop at the next gas station to clean face shields and windshields.

Thanks for the info Brian ! ( just joking about the strip down at the border! There have been stories though .... ) I did just contact the hotel and they're going to try their best to get me a ground floor rm in the back per your recommendations .
Sorry to hear you won't be going to Port Dover this year. Guess I'll have to meet you at Thunder later in June. We'll talk details later about a possible group ride to Thunder for the Michigan folks thinking of riding. For now, looking forward to the Ice Breaker event... hopefully the bug swarms will leave us alone this year !!

Good to hear you will be making it Jeff!! If you come up the 402 you might be able to hook up with Trevor Fisher for the ride down. He lives in Woodstock which is just up the 401 from London, On (where the 401 & 402 meet). We have a couple of folks coming from that way to the ride. There are a group of us staying at the Erie Beach Hotel as well! Angelo's is great, but VERY loud on the weekends and as the rooms are right above the bar, you get the idea LOL.

First Fri 13th in Dover this week. This'll be a good practice run for the town! They should be all prepped for the "ICE BREAKER":punk:

Dale #2592

First Fri 13th in Dover this week. This'll be a good practice run for the town! They should be all prepped for the "ICE BREAKER":punk:

Dale #2592

LOL!!!! The one thing I am wondering is which of us is going to get dinged by the excessive noise bylaw first. My money is on a certain individual who seems to forget that Vmax carbs have an idle circuit LOL!!!

Well....you know my thoughts on the noise bylaw! They'll be out on Fri 13th but not our weekend.

Dale #2592

Hope they won't be there for our weekend! Nothing like a noisy group of Vmax's to wake up the local constabulary LOL. Would just have to go to court and fight it :punk:

I am now planning on attending the Spring Icebreaker and have made plans with Jeff (KosRider) to ride together from Michigan crossing at Port Huron. Were looking to arrive by 3pm and if there is anyone that would like to join us here is our intended route.

I just booked a room at Erie Beach Hotel (519)583-1391. I asked for and they are going to try to get me a room at the back of the hotel but she was pretty sure there were only rooms upstairs left. $110 + tax/ night.

Latest posts

Back