70,000 mile stator.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Took the Max out for a spin yesterday, and turned right around when I noticed the voltmeter was only reading 11.4 volts. (12.3 at battery).

I have a Series voltage regulator installed, and it seems to work well. I substituted a known good regulator, and there was no difference.

Testing the stator, I got 60V AC @ 5,000 RPM across all 3 wires. Seems perfect to me..

Checking resistance between the 3 white wires, I got 1.9 ohms at every combination of wires (A-B, A-C, B-C).. This seems a bit high, as I read that it should be about .5 to .6 ohm.

This is where it really looks suspicious. I checked for continuity between the white wires and ground. Went to a valve cover bolt, and also to the negative battery terminal to double check. I understand this reading should be zero - nothing at all on the meter. However, I am reading 1.9 to 2.0 ohms on all 3 wires.

This tells me that the stator is shorted to ground, and it's time for a new one. It's been 25 years since I have been in that side cover, I guess that little leak there is finally gonna get fixed. If I remember, I have to remove that small cover over the clutch slave cylinder, and the stator cover.

Anyone got a comment about this? Does the result I came up point to a stator? I believe it does..

Back