8 Weeks for upgrades

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
So it will hopefully only be 8 weeks before I get my transmission back. Could be more.

So, right now my bike and motor are sitting at my friends place in several, several parts.

DD Clutch Mod: I have heard a lot of people say they have ether had this done or are planning on getting it done. I don't think I have actually read what exactly this does or effects?

Heavy Duty Oiling Cure: I have heard of this, but I am not really positive of the benifits this provides?

Hoses: Some hoses need to be replaced but I am looking at just simply buying a set from Sean. (because we all try and give him all our money) The thing is I am wanting white hoses. Does anyone have any experence? Are they simply going to get dirty, get yellow, basicly get nasty after a few months?

Is there anything I should look at getting done while the motor is apart/off the bike? I am not made of money but I can space out what I do with the time I have.

DD Clutch Mod: I have heard a lot of people say they have ether had this done or are planning on getting it done. I don't think I have actually read what exactly this does or effects?

Heavy Duty Oiling Cure: I have heard of this, but I am not really positive of the benifits this provides?

DD clutch mod provides more friction on the plates, making it a more positive on engagement, thus reducing slippage.

HD oiling, is just that, improves the oil circulation.

Only thing I would do while the engine is out, just just take a tour of your electrical system and look for any frayed wires or worn spots. Its a good time to
put on some of those hoses too.

DD Clutch Mod: I have heard a lot of people say they have ether had this done or are planning on getting it done. have.

Do it only if you want neck snapping, tire chirping shifts.

No mushy clutch, firm crisp shifts, no lag, just a little heavy on the hands in traffic.
But would never do without it.

White silicon hoses will keep white (of course you need to clean the dust and/or grime if it gets on it)
DD clutch is good. I'd recommend replacing the master by a stronger one.
HD oil kit - i think you are talking about the dreadful o-ring issue? good time to check it over and correct it even if not needed. Solid motor mounts is also a cheapish option...

White silicon hoses will keep white (of course you need to clean the dust and/or grime if it gets on it)
DD clutch is good. I'd recommend replacing the master by a stronger one.
HD oil kit - i think you are talking about the dreadful o-ring issue? good time to check it over and correct it even if not needed. Solid motor mounts is also a cheapish option...
The O-ring issue for sure should be inspected. The HD oiling I think is the pump kit that Sean sells. More volume and pressure. Well worth it. Now is the best time to do it. It can be done on the ground too, but is a pia. I have a friend that did it that way!
biglaugh.gif

Steve

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the O-ring problem only an issue for up to certain year, after which Yamaha corrected it? I just want to get my facts straight.

I put the DD in and on long ride's the clutch pull got to me a little so i changed to a different set up that had less clutch pull and i notice right away that the bike lost alot of punch. As of tonight im going back to the DD clutch set up. I look at it like this stock oem is like a stock turbo 350 and doing a light increase in clutch spring strength is almost like doing a little valve body work to a turbo 350 (not a full shift kit). And when you do the DD it is like doing a full shift kit to a turbo 400. The DD will give you seat of the pants feel. If you shift it under light acceleration the DD is a little punchy and if you shift it under hard acceleration the DD is vary punchy. For me having what the DD offered and than changing it up was like d-tuning my bike.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the O-ring problem only an issue for up to certain year, after which Yamaha corrected it? I just want to get my facts straight.

they upgraded the elbow at some point which 'helped' but didn't 'fix'.

The DD clutch effectively doubles the lever effort, so in traffic it can get real tiring real fast. As suggested you'll probably want to get a master with a larger piston.

PCW makes a "split the difference" HD spring. Factory style, it's just thicker and they say about 50% firmer than the stock one. I have one in my bike, the lever effort is maybe slightly increased, but not so much I find it tiring or annoying to work in the city, and shifts are much firmer(though I also replaced the clutch frictions and eliminated the 1/2 disc at the same time).

Anything white near an engine will not stay that way for long. If you go with white hoses, be prepared to clean them frequently. Seems like kind of a PITA to me.

It was 2004 that they "fixed" it.

u sure brian? i thought my elbow was the new style (03). there's pics somewhere out there on this.

i thought they did the fix in the late 90s.

Anything white near an engine will not stay that way for long. If you go with white hoses, be prepared to clean them frequently. Seems like kind of a PITA to me.

Clearly for looks, what other good would they be? :D

Yeah I know they would defiantly have to be cleaned often, but my worry would be if they would stain easily.

Silicon hoses can easily be cleaned with gasoline... Just a damp cloth will do the trick

Back