80's power cruiser shootout anyone?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas-ss-tornado

Reaction score
Hello fellow VMAX'ers! I'm not a "regular" here, although I have a 90' VMAX which happens to be my favorite motorcycle of all time! However, I restore Honda V65's as a hobby, and also dabble in the big ZL900 and ZL1000 Kawasaki Eliminators, have one of each of those also! Anyways, I got into a spirited debate on the ZL-OA forum about which stock bike is faster, the V65 Magna or big ZL.........subsequently, this turned into a CHALLENGE, and we are trying to organize an 80's muscle bike shootout for next summer!!! We're looking at a central US location, in hopes of getting the most people involved, and here are the racetracks we've come up with so far. If anyone is interested, please chime in and when I have a DEFINITE time and place, I will post it here! I'm going to bring all 4 of my bikes, (VMAX, V65 Magna, ZL900 and ZL1000), it should be a GREAT time, looking at a mid summer time frame! Anyone here interested???

http://www.brainerdraceway.com/track...dragstrip.html

A centrally located track that comes to mind is Heartland Park in Topeka:
http://hpt.com/ which is approx 1200-1300mi from Pottsville PA and Phoenix AZ.

This track here might be better for us than Heartland Park Topeka.
http://www.srcadragstrip.com/

Is this for stock bikes only???
No, not really. I'm sure there will be modified bikes too, but for bragging rights, I would hope only the stock bike results would "count". All 4 of my bikes are 100% bone stock, so I can at least run them against each other with the help of some friends! I'm suspecting "most" of them will be close to stock, but any and all will be welcome to participate!!!!!

Topeka has a world class facility but I am not sure how much it cost's to rent? We have a local track here near Wichita but it's not like the fancy Topeka track. The advange of the local track here is 30-40 minutes away vs 2 hours. And - I have a big basement and shop so guys would be welcome to hang out here and even stay the night "barracks" style if there was enough of them.

Sean

Sounds like fun to me... Will 2002's be able to run since there really haven't been too many changes since the mid-80's:clapping:

I would like to run mine if it would run for more than a day :bang head:
But it`s a little far tho.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Ive only seen one eliminator ever, it looked good to me :D

we were at a bike night at a local restaurant and were literally the only 2 non harleys

V-65 will rape the Kawasaki is my prediction with the Vmax on top... JMO of course.

Sounds like a really fun and cool idea if you can get all the boards together like that.

Hell I may even be interested... It'd be REALLY cool to get it done around the time of our Topeka Vmax event in June. That central KS one is 10 hours and 2 minutes from my door.

Chris

Hey T-ss-t

shoot me an email or pm if ya get a chance.

I'm down in Ennis

TIA

Since moving up here to Kentucky, I've been able to meetup with the ZL forum guys, they are mostly up here in the Ohio area from what I have seen. They have a bi-yearly meet at Dragway 42, and are anxious to get some VMAX's lined up for a power crusier shootout! I'll make sure and post some dates and times when the next one is scheduled. I don't think I ever posted a picture of mine, 1985 Kawasak ZL900 that I did a motor transplant on last Christmas, took 14 hours start to finish! Found it on the Dallas Craigslist for a grand and snatched her up quick! This and the B-King are the only two bikes I brought up with me from Texas, so this ones "special". Almost every possible piece of metal on this bike has been chromed, including the FRAME! Brand new NOS tank, custom seat, this is the best of the best, nicest ZL900 in country!!!! Just went down to Waynesburg today to get her ready for it's long winter nap, rode it about 30 minutes, filled her up with Stabil and put her back in the garage! Snapped a few pics before I put it away, 75 and sunny here today in Northern KY, enjoy!

ZL900_Waynesburg1.jpg

ZL900_Waynesburg2.jpg

ZL900_Waynesburg3.jpg

Latest posts

Back