85- 5000 miles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James t

To boldly go where no man has gone before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum but I've been around bikes and cars my whole life, I've got an 85 all original all stock with only 5,000 miles it still has the original tires which I don't think is a good thing, the bike was given to me by my brother which passed from effing cancer a few months ago, the bike sat around in the shop for years he never rode it he had it just for the nostalgia of it I went over the carburetors bike runs great idols great I'm probably just going to leave it stock and just enjoy it 20220510_185754.jpg20220510_185805.jpg20220510_185810.jpg20220510_185817.jpg

Last edited:
IMO there is no 'cheap' way to get more power. The more you want the more it will cost.

Starting point would be to ensure that what you have is able to work as well as it can.
Sitting around for all that time may not have done it any favours so ensuring that the ignition system is in good condition and that the carbs are free of any muck or varnishes would be my first task. I'd also run some fuel system cleaner through.
Also check over the wiring system; break and make as many of the connectors as you can get at to ensure good continuity also clean all of the earths.
If not already done so change all of the fluids and unless you know that the fuel was added recently I'd change that as well together with the filter.

Also consider that going faster isn't just about more power, better and suspension and brakes is an arguably cheaper way to reach that goal.

Whatever you do and if you want significant gains it won't be cheap.

Given the age and condition of the bike I'd try and keep it as standard as possible or ensure whatever you do is reversible as you have what is probably an appreciating asset.

Thanks for the info all fluids have been changed I'm a car guy so the carburetors were taken off and thoroughly cleaned trust me with my OCD their spotless, I'm probably just going to leave it the way it is stock you're right more power isn't cheap I don't really want more power as I really don't get on it all that crazy, the bike did come with a lot of extra carburetor parts it's a dynojet kit can you tell me what kit this is

Attachments

• 20220510_185829.jpg
    20220510_185829.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220510_185833.jpg
    20220510_185833.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220510_190011.jpg
    20220510_190011.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for the comments and likes guys I do plan on just leaving this bike all original all stock I have other motorcycles and cars, I have a Harley that I ride now and then plus I have a 1964 BSA motorcycle and a 75 Yamaha XS650

Good plan there James t. I have a bone stock red ‘89 that is in very nice condition and will never be modified in any way, as well as the ‘76 XS650 in my Avatar that I just restored. It has some tasteful bolt-on mods, but is essentially stock and could be easily returned to stock.

Hi I'm sorry for your brother.
Damn this thing is an amazing one!
'85 all original and only 5k miles
Yamaha should grant you a spot in their museum.
You should leave it as is, just as Max said, fix whatever needs to due to long time sitting.
Being '85 the carburation will also be as raw as it was by that time, no emissions considered at all, just fuel pumping the more you opne throttle.
I'm sure it pushes since 2k rpm and starts cold no choke needed!

Beautiful bike! Curious about the side covers. My '85 has the "vmax" embossed in the side covers instead of the raised lettering I see in your pictures. I've always thought this was the hallmark of a true '85, but now I've seen several people pictures of '85s with the raised lettering. Can anyone clarify?

Beautiful bike! Curious about the side covers. My '85 has the "vmax" embossed in the side covers instead of the raised lettering I see in your pictures. I've always thought this was the hallmark of a true '85, but now I've seen several people pictures of '85s with the raised lettering. Can anyone clarify?

'85's should have the pressed "Vmax". Raised lettering was '86 and forward.

I wouldn't ride a bike with the stamped VMax lettering, too-much of an easy theft target.

Thank you for the condolences for my brother, this bike will be left exactly as it is till the day I die for sentimental reasons my vmax covers do have the stamp lettering on the inside what do you mean for theft purposes are 85 high theft bikes

Latest posts

Back