85- 5000 miles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone on this forum told me that the side covers are an upgrade what's so special about the side covers, are they worth four million each maybe

As for the centers kickstand I don't get it I have no mounting tabs underneath whatsoever for the center kickstand it didn't come with one I picked one up off of eBay but there's mounting tabs whatsoever anywhere no grinding marks no cut off marks just fresh black paint now I did hear a rumor from someone that said some of the early vmax did not come with center stands could be just a rumor but I don't know, anyway I'm proud to show off my all original 85 it will never get changed or sold I will probably be buried with it along with my old Land cruiser, oh yeah and my wife

Yes, cancer is a terrible thing.

Id get a little plaque made up with your brother's name as a reminder to who should be riding it, if it wasn't for cancer.

Something along the lines what yamaha did ethe 29tb anniversary editions.
Screenshot_20220513-221241.jpg

You know 02 that's one hell of a good idea I appreciate that, I'm going to get a little plaque made up in memory of my brother and put it on the bike, yeah Cancer sucks f*** cancer I watch my brother go from strong human being running his own business to whittling away to absolutely nothing and dying in pain in a matter of a year, I would give up everything I own to have my brother back I miss him everyday, plus my 90 year old dad lives with me he just lost his wife of 66 years a year ago to a stroke and now he had to bury his son thank you very much for the condolences

Thank you for the condolences for my brother, this bike will be left exactly as it is till the day I die for sentimental reasons my vmax covers do have the stamp lettering on the inside what do you mean for theft purposes are 85 high theft bikes
As for missions it doesn't exist on this bike no emissions nada zilch nothing Zippo
Are you saying that the stick-on VMax logo is on-top of a stamped-in Vmax logo embossed into the side covers? Since the VMax embossed side cover is a 1-year only, it's something that would likely be a theft target, and is easily removed in seconds with a cordless screwdriver.

As to emissions, I think the commenter meant the bike carburetion is set to be rich from the factory, and that in temperate climates, an enrichener circuit (the 'choke') isn't necessary. About the only emissions it has is the hose beneath the airbox from the engine venting via a ~1/2" hose to the airbox.

Never hear of the OEM centerstand deletion on any bikes.

Last edited:
Thank you for the condolences for my brother, this bike will be left exactly as it is till the day I die for sentimental reasons my vmax covers do have the stamp lettering on the inside what do you mean for theft purposes are 85 high theft bikes

The 85 stamped side covers are highly desired, as it was the only year they did that. I am in process of bringing back an 85 with 19K miles that is in pretty good dang shape, but had been sitting for the last 15 years. Love your 85!

The application of the 86-07 raised logo's was actually very common for the 85 covers. Now those in the "know" would never do that. But, they are much more desirable for sure.

I see what you're saying in the picture about some grind marks I never saw that before

I wouldn't ride a bike with the stamped VMax lettering, too-much of an easy theft target.
I always park my '90 where I can see it. It has the '85 chromed covers and is more subtle than my stock ones.

Attachments

• Rollies '90 With Rear Street Trackers Shocks By Works Performance.jpg
    Rollies '90 With Rear Street Trackers Shocks By Works Performance.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 20
My side covers have both the raised lettering and the Preston lettering it's an all original 85IMG_0416_20220513_140722.jpgIMG_0415_20220513_140722.jpg16525448210765056075024111629555.jpgi16525449003823189893527040510906.jpg

Are you saying that the stick-on VMax logo is on-top of a stamped-in Vmax logo embossed into the side covers? Since the VMax embossed side cover is a 1-year only, it's something that would likely be a theft target, and is easily removed in seconds with a cordless screwdriver.

As to emissions, I think the commenter meant the bike carburetion is set to be rich from the factory, and that in temperate climates, an enrichener circuit (the 'choke') isn't necessary. About the only emissions it has is the hose beneath the airbox from the engine venting via a ~1/2" hose to the airbox.

Never hear of the OEM centerstand deletion on any bikes.

Emissions i mean in '85 there still were no exhaust regulations so fuel and ignition settings were just set for best performances. I had a '91 european 102hp. Then I had a 2000 American 140hp and from 2k to 4k the old '91 was literally eating the 140hp
Also cold start was just a half second Amy temperature for the '91
The 2000 was born in different regulations for exhaust emission values and had to respect more strict parameters

Latest posts

Back