'85 - '92 vs '93-'95 Oil Filter Bolt, any difference?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted J

Reaction score
I have a '94 VMAX I'm changing the filter on. The head of the bolt got stripped so I drilled and grinded it out. Looking back I wish I would have just welded a beater socket on and removed it that way but I got it out the drilling and grinding method. Just look a lot longer! ha ha

Anyways, I now need a new bolt. I looked around and found ones for '85 -'92 but don't know if that will work on my '94 or not. I looked up the part numbers on a parts sites I buy things from for Yamaha Motorcycles and the part numbers for a '92 and a '94 Oil Filter bolt are the same so don't know what to think now.

Anybody can help me out here?

Thanks!

Ted

The Spin on conversion that Cycle One Off sells will fit 85-95 VMax's so I don't see any difference in the bolt for the Canister Type Filter. I have an 89 and a 94 and have the 94 switched over to a spin on filter. Bolt looks identical to me....

Dave

The Spin on conversion that Cycle One Off sells will fit 85-95 VMax's so I don't see any difference in the bolt for the Canister Type Filter. I have an 89 and a 94 and have the 94 switched over to a spin on filter. Bolt looks identical to me....

Dave

Dave, thanks for the info! That's what I was thinking so I think I'll give the bolt I found on ebay a try for $16 shipped. The only thing I'm concerned about is when I drilled and grinded the old bolt out I hope I didn't damage anything internally in the bolt that I need to transfer over to the new bolt. Noticed there's a ball inside of the bolt.

I would hope that the new bolt has all the internals for $16.00.. You may want to submit a question to the seller... Otherwise, you should be able to look at the bolts peripheral parts and see any damage you may have done...

Good Luck,
Dave

There are different Yamaha bolts that FIT the Vmax but are NOT intended for it. If you use the wrong one, it WILL cause engine failure.

Just verify that ALL cross drilled holes are identical on both bolts.

Nothing special needed. We've got some old bolts around here we can sell you too or even setup with a socket welded on for permanent fix. I keep forgetting to do that with engines we have here lol.

Sean

There are different Yamaha bolts that FIT the Vmax but are NOT intended for it. If you use the wrong one, it WILL cause engine failure.

Just verify that ALL cross drilled holes are identical on both bolts.

Gotcha, I will compare the holes. But if it will work on a '92 VMAX will it work on a '94 as well? Like was there changes that occurred?

Yes, 1985-1995 are the same (96 had spin on filter). 86-93 Ventures (and maybe 83-85) will also be the same. Don't forget about the washer and spring that sits under the filter. They are very often lost.

Sean

Yes, 1985-1995 are the same (96 had spin on filter). 86-93 Ventures (and maybe 83-85) will also be the same. Don't forget about the washer and spring that sits under the filter. They are very often lost.

Sean

Thank you for the tip about the washer and the spring... I have all the parts sitting in the oil drain pan right now so it should all be there. I'll maybe take a photo and post it up in this thread later to make sure I have all of the pieces needed. If you don't mind letting me know if there is something missing that would be great.

I have a video on youtube and facebook showing what to look for. I think there is also a thread in the muscle section with self help videos.

Sean

Latest posts

Back