85 bolt on caliper upgrades that require no adapters?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayoublaster

Reaction score
Been doing some reading on here and I haven't been able to find better calipers for a 85 model that just bolt on with no adapters. Are there any out there and if so are they so hard to find that it's just better to go with the busa calipers instead?If there are what bike models should I be looking for that do bolt on with no adapters? Thanks again. If nothing else, I did manage to find a better way to bleed my brakes from all the reading I did. Thanks again!

I would have preferred a no adapter upgrade but did not find one. Since Sean's adapter is small and doesn't move the calipers far form the stock mounting point, which is good since the 6 pots are much larger. But enough about the looks, once you get it set up the first time you hit the brakes you are going to be happy. It will scare to think how little braking the pre '93 calipers provide. I put on HH pads on my stock calipers which I thought was a good upgrade but the 6 pot calipers/ HH pad combo are going to increase that by at least 3 times and with good feel too. I use 2 fingers for braking now making it easy to modulate.:punk:I am using stock masters and SS lines.

+1 on this upgrade suggestion. Finding a no bracket upgrade is possible but at the end of the day, our bike (671lbs dry) is severely underbraked.

I just got my gear from Sean Morley and I'll be posting in a separate thread when I start the installation, but I can tell you it gives me a chubby just looking at these six pot calipers.

+1 on this upgrade suggestion. Finding a no bracket upgrade is possible but at the end of the day, our bike (671lbs dry) is severely underbraked.

I just got my gear from Sean Morley and I'll be posting in a separate thread when I start the installation, but I can tell you it gives me a chubby just looking at these six pot calipers.

I thought the bikes weighed 624lbs wet?

Attachments

• VMX WEIGHT.pdf
    37 KB · Views: 10
Here are a couple pics of my setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 59
The FZR400RR calipers are a direct bolt on though I have only ever had one set in my hands (for about a day). BUT, they are marginally better since the rotor diameter stays the same and pad size is only a little bigger. The real increase in braking is with our adapters and the larger rotors. The leverage is increased which provides a big boost. The rest of the stopping is due to the larger pad surface. The feel is better with the increased fluid displacement of the calipers.

Sean

The FZR400RR calipers are a direct bolt on though I have only ever had one set in my hands (for about a day). BUT, they are marginally better since the rotor diameter stays the same and pad size is only a little bigger. The real increase in braking is with our adapters and the larger rotors. The leverage is increased which provides a big boost. The rest of the stopping is due to the larger pad surface. The feel is better with the increased fluid displacement of the calipers.

Sean

the next day did they come to me?

haha.. they should be going on soon, i imagine when he's done with his fork seals and such...

i know he was trying to find some new pads to have on hand too and was having a tough time finding the right ones to order... not sure on specifics, can you get EBC pads if we need them?

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go with the busa calipers. Got another question, so I'll ask it in another thread. Thanks again.

No, you will require adapters (I don't make them but a customer I have here has a chromed pair he will consider selling along with the 4 piston R1 calipers and new pads he has).

Sean

I have recently made adaper for a customer.
It lets to use newer caliper on older fork leg and rotor.
I also have adapter for newer rotor as well which is only a minor change.

(left click on the sketch to activate 3d view).

Attachments

• Adapter złożenie prawa strona.pdf
    40.8 KB · Views: 27
early/mid 80's FZR400RR (extremely rare). That's pretty much it. Everything else will require an adapter. The larger rotors from the later years along with the bigger calipers is the true way to braking bliss though.
Sean

Latest posts

Back