85 Cranks but Won't Start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC

Reaction score
I've got an 85 production # 811 that has been sitting in the garage for too long. Planning on getting it on the road this summer. Danny Unwin just sent the carbs back to me after a total rebuild and subsequent bench test.

Tried to start it after installing the carbs and after a few cranks cranking stopped. Checked battery and even connected jumper cables to my car ... still no cranking. I noticed that the starter switch (rocker switch) was feeling a bit spongy and not quite right. Took the switch off the handlebar and then apart. Ran some electrical tests on the back of the switch. 4 wires, with the ignition on and the RUN switch set to ON I had 2 of the 4 wires on the back of the starter rocker switch were hot. The other 2 nothing. I then engaged the starter rocker switch to see if the other 2 wires did anything. Nothing .. so when I engaged the switch there was no change to the leads on the back of the switch. I'm thinking it's a bad starter rocker switch ? I've ordered a new assembly which the dealer still has and will have it in a couple of days.

If I am lucky replacing the assembly which includes the Starter Rocker Switch, Run Switch & Reserve Switch will fix the problem. I plan to stay on it until I can get the bike running again so this may not be my last post but anybody have any input.

Additionally, if the replacement parts don't fix the problem then I am planning to get down to basics, fuel, spark, etc. If anyone has what those logical steps would be going down the list of a cranking bike but won't start .... I'd appreciate it. Thanks, BC

It sounds like maybe the run/kill switch is wonky. The starter button is a two stage assembly. The first stage is powering up the relay when pressed so it can crank the bike over. The other pair of wires has power in the button off position to the headlights and then cuts power during cranking (allowing more power to turn the bike over).

You could turn on the bike, make sure it's in neutral, and then jump the two big terminals on the relay under the seat. That would at least get power to the starter and if the bike doesn't have any other issues it should start (think hot wiring it).

It sounds like maybe the run/kill switch is wonky. The starter button is a two stage assembly. The first stage is powering up the relay when pressed so it can crank the bike over. The other pair of wires has power in the button off position to the headlights and then cuts power during cranking (allowing more power to turn the bike over).

You could turn on the bike, make sure it's in neutral, and then jump the two big terminals on the relay under the seat. That would at least get power to the starter and if the bike doesn't have any other issues it should start (think hot wiring it).

Hi Sean, long time since hooking up with you and Eric. Thanks for the response. I'd like to try hot wiring it but not real confident on where the two (2) big terminals are you mentioned. Any help on that would be appreciated. Might as well see if I can get it to crank. Thank you , BC

The terminals with the plastic flexible caps on them. Follow the heavy red-jacketed wire from the battery.

VMax electrical crimp.02.jpeg_LI.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE ON MY 85 THAT WON'T START

1) Carbs rebuilt by Danny Unwin
2) Bike would turn over like a champ but would not start
3) Developed a problem where the bike stopped turning over even with jumper cables to my car battery
4) Suspected starter switch problem
5) Hot wired the bike and got it to turn over again. New Starter switch, Reserve & Run switch assembly w/ harness ordered from dealer. Yep ... it was still available.
6) Pulled all the plugs to inspect. They were fouled and smelled a little like gas. Cleaned all of them and burned off the gas. Then checked to see if I had spark to each cylinder and I did. Thought that by cleaning all of them that maybe the engine might start. It turned over but did not want to start.
7) I then checked to make sure that the Reserve Switch was set properly and it was.
8) Pulled the main gas feed line from the fuel pump to the carburetors. Placed the end into a jar and cranked the bike to see if any gas was coming out? Nothing
9) Pulled the fuel pump and then directly connected it to a battery and it fired up perfectly.
10) Plugged the fuel pump into the bike wiring harness and nothing
11) I want to point out that I did try and drop a little bit of gas directly into the carbs to see if I might be able to get the engine to start briefly. Nothing

** Where I am at now is that I am going to pull all of the relays, check terminals add a little WD-40 and re-install all of them. Just maintenance and just in case.
** Next I plan on tracing the fuel pump harness from the plug back into the harness and see if I can find out why I have no power to the plug ?

** Lastly, I am trying desperately to get my bike back on the road this summer. I've already spent over a $1,000 and no closer to getting it running than I was a month ago. I am open to suggestions and would gladly accept any help. Looking forward to your replies ... thank you. BC

Last edited:
I wonder if it's the side stand relay? I had the same problem on the 86. It would crank... but not start. It should be gold....and it's on the left side up near the left front carb....if I remember correctly. Once that is unplugged....if that is the issue... the bike should start and run. You are disabling a safety device... and now the bike can start and take off with the side stand now.

Sean was the one that helped me get the bike started when this plagued me originally.

I wonder if it's the side stand relay? I had the same problem on the 86. It would crank... but not start. It should be gold....and it's on the left side up near the left front carb....if I remember correctly. Once that is unplugged....if that is the issue... the bike should start and run. You are disabling a safety device... and now the bike can start and take off with the side stand now.

Sean was the one that helped me get the bike started when this plagued me originally.

Hello Traumahawk, thank you for the input. It's worth checking out. Regards, BC

Update !! Thanks to all the help and great advice received from everyone bike is now starting and running consistently. While it is not running perfectly as of yet I am well on the way to making it so. I wanted to update everyone on / in these threads. I will post a separate message on the remaining issues with the intent of resolving them. Special thanks to Sean Morley for the last pieces of the puzzle to get to this point. Regards, BC

Latest posts

Back