85 hot and rough

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

train460

Reaction score
Ok. wifes 85. with cobra pipes, bout stock with some cosmetics.
well since we put this bike back on the road from a 12+ year hiatus.
Well the bike, since we have had it runs hot. hotter than mine that is. also. we have also had the, Hot, at idle problem that it wants to sputter. only at idle when its hot. we have recently put on a R1 rectifier thats putting out about 13.8 volts or so so it's not a charging problem.
is it possible that the bike is running either lean or rich due to the cobra pipes?
plugs seem to look ok from what i remember.
i am again gonna check the sync on the carbs and maybe make some adjustments with the idle circuit screws? maybe in or out?
thoughts?
michael

My 85 was putting out 13.8 volts but it just wasn't enough, after the R1 mod it now puts out 14.4 with cooling fan on @ 3k RPM. I soldered the stator wires an ran the wires from the rectifier to battery. I have no more sputtering at idle. While doing the R1 mod I found stator plug to rectifier heavily corroded and the plug disintegrated and crumbled in my hands. I took my thermostat out 24 yrs ago with no ill effects. I would check voltage with fan on , you might find your voltage dropping even lower than 13.8 .

Last edited:
I would actually guess its RICH and not lean. Too rich and it will run hot too.

Sean

LOL Sean, I know if I were "too rich", I'd be running around hot all the time too......oh never mind.

Really, I never heard that before. I thought gasoline running through the cylinders was a type of coolant, in that too much and it prohibited proper combustion, thereby reducing total heat being created. So much for what I "thought" I knew. Guess that's why I always keep reading this forum and learning from it.

Michael, as far as total running temps on Gigi's bike, have you ever put a new thermostat in it? I know that would not have much to do with it stumbling at idle, but perhaps has a lot to do with it running consistantly hotter than yours.

And as far as the stumbling goes, perhaps the CDI is getting so bad, it wants to miss out at lower RPM's even though you have decent voltage. Maybe set it up in the dark sometime whilst it is hot and stumbling and double check for jumping spark where it don't belong.

And another thing: have you verified the charging voltage while the fan is definitely running? You can point a room fan at it and unplug the bike fan while it is acting up to test whether or not the added current draw from the bike fan is causing the stumble too.

8 days and counting down to EUREAKA SPRINGS. Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

got called in to work this morning. Will pull plugs sunday and take a pic. I am also going to mess with the idle circuit screws abit.
Now in turning those in or out.
Am i messing with AIR or FUEL?

Is it possible the impeller on your water pump could be worn, or the thermostat hanging half open causing the hot issue..just a thought

WHere is the thermostat located on the V-max? Because my 85 wants to run a bit warm as well.And please,post a link on this R-1 rectifier conversion....PLEASE!

they don't look too bad i think. gonna replace with new but what do you guys think?
the bike only seems to sputter at HOT idle.

2096282040047010532ZUBCox

2230456670047010532ZEGJDk

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2096282040047010532ZUBCox

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2230456670047010532ZEGJDk

Number 2 is a little black. Could be as simple as sync, a/f mix, or float level depending on the rpm's they were checked at. Could even be a valve adjustment just a little off. Still, looks like it could go a bit leaner and be fine.

Try to close up the gap just a tiny bit to see if that helps.

Sean

well house issues means not gonna have any time to mess with her bike other than change out the plugs, so will have to just be what it is till we get back from Eureka Springs this weekend.
see you guys there
Michael

Number 2 is a little black. Could be as simple as sync, a/f mix, or float level depending on the rpm's they were checked at. Could even be a valve adjustment just a little off. Still, looks like it could go a bit leaner and be fine.

Try to close up the gap just a tiny bit to see if that helps.

Sean
what do you mean close up the gap? on the plugs? or turn the screw in abit?

Closing the plug gap a bit will allow for better firing, especially with the older ignition..Your plugs aren't really bad, turning the 1-2 AF Screws in a tiny bit may make them match better..

Yes, that's what I meant. Run a slightly smaller gap on the plugs.

Sean

Back