85 oil change, first step

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I am planning on changing the oil in my new bike just to be safe before the winter season, I have a pic of what I think is the drain plug, can you guys let me know if I've got the right part? :) Just want to make sure before I go cranking on it.

Joe

Attachments

• KIMG0178.jpg
    KIMG0178.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 66
It's the bolt that has the screw in it. Make sure the filter you bought has a new O ring included. When you remove the filter canister take a pic so you will know how to put it back on. Be careful not to loose the flat washer on the canister bolt when you remove the old filter. I think Sean Morley has a video on this, if I can find it ,I will post the link. Warm the engine up before draining the oil, that way you get the more of the old oil out.

You should click on watch video on Youtube and subscribe to Sean Morley's videos. You also should watch all of them because you can get a good Vmax education on your bike also. He is the Vmax Guru with out mistake. He also has any thing you need for your bike.

The screw is a magnet. I catches all the metal shavings from normal use of the tranny and anything else that a magnet will pick up. You can usually get most of the metal off without removing the screw itself........

a little Vaseline helps to hold that big huge o-ring to the canister when trying to bolt it back on

You should click on watch video on Youtube and subscribe to Sean Morley's videos. You also should watch all of them because you can get a good Vmax education on your bike also. He is the Vmax Guru with out mistake. He also has any thing you need for your bike.

Yep, I had already watched that video, but I guess I just didn't pay close attention to the location of the drain plug. I owned a vmax from 1996 though 2004, but then ended up selling her because I just wasn't riding. But now I find myself with more free time (daughter is now a teenager, and soon off to college, so it looks like I'll have some free evenings and weekends with just the wife and I to ride). Should make for lots of fun! :)

Joe

Your wise to winter store with clean oil. Dirty oil is corrosive. I go 2500 miles now between changes. Make sure the magnet is on the plug when you change. For some reason mine was not. Also, I always pull the bottom bolt from the middle gear cover. It's got a copper washer on it. I tilt the bike a little with a block under one side of the center stand. There is another drain on the transmission, but very little comes out, so I stopped using that one. Might as well get all the dirty oil you can out. I'll do something else while it drains, then come back after it stops dripping. Lets see if I can get Tim-Cop Runner going..Shop vac time
biglaugh.gif

Steve-o

'Swoop,' I like to use water-soluble lubricant such-as KY. You can use it for positioning gaskets on engine covers or wherever the gasket needs to be-held for re-assembly. It's good for the carb boots both above and below the carb rack, and the VBoost.

I was just in Ypsi a few weeks-ago, just passin' thru on my way to the Detroit Airport.

a little Vaseline helps to hold that big huge o-ring to the canister when trying to bolt it back on

'Swoop,' I like to use water-soluble lubricant such-as KY. You can use it for positioning gaskets on engine covers or wherever the gasket needs to be-held for re-assembly. It's good for the carb boots both above and below the carb rack, and the VBoost.

I was just in Ypsi a few weeks-ago, just passin' thru on my way to the Detroit Airport.

I like the idea of using it on the carb boots.

I worked in Ypsi all summer, driving down 94 and 275 twice a day there by the airport...even managed to see the end of a rainbow, just south of the airport :biglaugh:

Back