85' Stator Replace

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhavens

Reaction score
I'm replacing the stator on my 85' and had a question and thought I would also share the pictures to add to all the awesome reference already on this site.

Is this normal? Seems like some sort of coating.

Original stator. Gasket hadn't been cleaned off the case yet.

Close-up of the pick-ups. The white-ish stuff whipped off. Is the other discoloration normal too? And the screws I loosened.

Also, is it save to put some RTV sealant in the groove on the case where the rubber grommet sits? I was planning on putting it where the wires enter and exit but I also wanted to put in in that groove too.

I'll share pictures of the new stator when I put it in.

When I did mine, I only RTV'd the front & back side of each gasket (thin layer put on with index finger & thumb) for the cases...you need the gaskets in some instances as they allow for propper internal clearences. the rubber gromets, if still in good shape, do their jobs well an need nothing.

I have zero oil leaks on my 95 using this method and I've had them all off to PC...

Also...not sure about the yellowing on the stator, but someone's been in there before as your stator gear bolts have been peened...

I'll do the same with RTV then, thanks. Makes me wonder what was done if someone was in there already, because that's news to me. Thanks for the heads up.

Just replaced mine
Someone had been into mine before as well and tried to unscrew the stator bolts and broke one
I ended up having to replace the housing
Now my bikes great
no more problems with hot or cold starts
good luck

Back