85 Vmax Clutch Master Cylinder or rebuild needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Got a leak.

Not opposed to just buying a new master cylinder but if so, can you guys post your favorite option for buying one? For example, here's one at BikeBandit:
$158.95 - https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-part...2n-front-master-cylinder-2/o/m146947sch254865

Also not opposed to rebuilding either but not sure which kit is trustworthy:
$28 - https://www.amazon.com/0108-001-Clutch-Cylinder-Rebuild-Repair/dp/B07DHTC7YC/

If any of you have done this before and liked one cyl or rebuild kit over another, let me know, thanks.

I used this off eBay. A couple of months now, no problems. Most people will just buy the complete Master Slave cylinder rather than rebuild their old one. I wanted to see if I could do it. I checked it out in YouTube took it from there. Lucky so far.
Yamaha FJ1100 FJ1200 VMX12 Vmax XVZ12 XVZ13 CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER Rebuild Kit
Price:

US $15.89P6120002.JPG

Last edited:
He's wanting to replace the master cylinder, not slave.

Cheers.

Mark

At that kind-of pricing, you can afford to buy the rebuild kit, even if it doesn't end-up working, you aren't out a lot of $. A good inspection and clean-up of the master cylinder bore should show you if it's total replacement time, or that the rebuild kit has a good chance of being the ticket. I like the K&L stuff, it's made in Japan, and they are OEM suppliers.

Here's one way I find that cleaning-up the bore goes quickly, I'm using either 180 or 220. I use a cordless drill (only the chuck is seen here), a hex-to-square drive adapter, a square drive extension and the sandpaper. Getting a good surface is literally a 1-minute job.

Honda SOHC brake master cyl bore sanding.jpg

Got a leak.

Not opposed to just buying a new master cylinder but if so, can you guys post your favorite option for buying one? For example, here's one at BikeBandit:
$158.95 - https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-part...2n-front-master-cylinder-2/o/m146947sch254865

Also not opposed to rebuilding either but not sure which kit is trustworthy:
$28 - Amazon.com: DP 0108-001 Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild Repair Parts Fits Yamaha: Automotive

If any of you have done this before and liked one cyl or rebuild kit over another, let me know, thanks.

I used this for the Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild:

K&L Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit #32-4146 Yamaha

100% Satisfaction - Worldwide Shipping - Huge Selection.

Price:
US $22.87

Attachments

• P6130002.JPG
    P6130002.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I had clutch demons for the last 2 years.. haven’t been able to ride much due to spinal surgeries but I’m on the road to ride... bike would slip in all gears so I replaced the clutch. Didn’t help much. Replaced the clutch line with a gaffler braided. Could not get it to bleed came up with a slick way to draw out the air/fluid with a large syringe and a rubber hose.. anyway I ended up taking the adjustable perch off and the plunger came out with it.. threads stripped and rubber all torn up.. live and learn! Can’t wait to get my new to me master cylinder and finally go for a ride

Sweet. Ok yeah master not slave. I think I'll take it apart and see if the parts kit will work...

Latest posts

Back