85 vmax getting hot ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DESPITE HAVING SYNC,D MY CARBS SOME TIME AGO THEY NEEDED REDOING NOW OPERATING TEMP ALL OK ITS ASHAME I WENT SO FAR AROUND THE HOUSES TO GET TO THE PROBLEM. WE LIVE WE LEARN THEN WE FORGET & HAVE TO LEARN AGAIN.

FOR SALE 4 X KN VMAX AIR FILTERS PRACTICALLY BRAND NEW & ALLOY RAD BRAND NEW IN BOX TOP NECK ALREADY TRIMMED TO FIT TOP HOSE £140.00 THE PAIR WILL SPLIT & DIFFERENTIAL UNIT £50.00 LOCATION SW LONDON UK THANKS JP

FOR SALE 2 PAIRS OF MIRRORS THE CHROME ARE ACTUALLY IN BLACK £12 THE PAIR LOCATION SW LONDON

Attachments

• $_3(9).JPG
    $_3(9).JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MIRR 1.jpg
    MIRR 1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
I have chroming services that can be done outright, exchange, or on your pair.

Attachments

• Scoop.jpg
    Scoop.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 13
  • Chrome Sale Kit.jpg
    Chrome Sale Kit.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 13
THERE IS A LOCKWASHER ON THE TOP OF THE STEERING HEAD BEARING THAT LOCKS THE TWO ADJUSTER NUTS TOGETHER DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THAT LOCKWASHER ? THANKS JOHN

HAS ANYONE EVER USED THESE RACE REMOVERS FOR THE STEERING BEARINGS ? ANY GOOD ? its by sealey i think it would have difficulty gripping the vmax stem bearing races as they are so flush with the frame no lip to grip. it will not let me load a picture. any ideas thanks john.

Last edited:
HAS ANYONE EVER USED THESE RACE REMOVERS FOR THE STEERING BEARINGS ? ANY GOOD ? its by sealey i think it would have difficulty gripping the vmax stem bearing races as they are so flush with the frame no lip to grip. it will not let me load a picture. any ideas thanks john.
The top you can remove easily with a drift punch. The bottom, many people drop a bit of weld bead onto the race, the heat combined with the purchase the weld bead affords, then allows the hammering-out of the outer race. Space the weld bead 180 degrees-apart.

Not that you ever need to do it again, but if you grind into the steering head, a bit of a semi-circular shape, where the outside lip of the outer race is now exposed, it will be an easy replacement 'next-time.' Like the above method, space the ground-out places 180 degrees-apart.

If you don't have a welder, use a Dremel to put a couple slices opposite one-another into the outer race, to gain a bit of movement, and use a cold chisel to split them further, and to drive-out the race.

Last edited:
IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THERE ARE TWO ECU UNITS FOR THE GEN 1 VMAX 1985 TO 1993 THEN 1993 ONWARDS. AM I CORRECT IN SAYING THE EARLY ECU,S ARE THE ONES WITH THE YELLOW LABELS ? THANKS JP

DO NOT BUY THE ALLOY WORKS UPGRADED VMAX RADIATOR ON EBAY ITS £69.00 AND A TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT FROM THE GROMMETTS TO THE FAN MOUNT NOTHING FUCKING FITS THEN WHEN YOU HAVE SPENT THE WHOLE DAY MODIFYING IT YOU REALIZE IT OBSTRUCTS THE FUCKING STEERING A TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT.
I ordered one from eBay/China. Looks great but I spent another $90.00 to get modifications made so it would fit. I’ve put inverted forks on it and due to the size of them, I would need to put new steering stops on it to keep
From hitting the radiator still. Needless to say, im
Putting a stock radiator back on.
And now I have a question. The four grommets, 2 are longer than the other and I can’t remember which location they go in.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

IT WASNT THE ECU 4 X NEW PLUGS PERFECT AGAIN. QUESTION. WHEN IT GETS TO THE 3 0CLOCK POINT ON THE TEMP GAUGE THE FAN SWITCH COMES ON BUT IT NEVER GOES OFF AGAIN IT JUST DOESNT SEEM TO BE ABLE TO GET THE TEMP DOWN ENOUGH FOR THE FAN SWITCH TO OPEN & CUT THE CIRCUIT ALTHOUGH IT NEVER OVERHEATS, IT IS A CHINESE KNOCK OFF SWITCH SO IAM WONDERING IF THAT MIGHT BE THE FAULT ? MAYBE ITS OPEN & CLOSED TEMPS ARE JUST NOT CORRECT FOR THE VMAX ? ANY IDEAS ? THE PROBLEM IS THAT RUNNING THE BIKE WITH A FAN RUNNING ALL THE TIME & A HIGH BEAM HEADLIGHT ON CAN MAKE STARTING PROBLEMATIC DUE TO BATTERY DRAIN. MAYBE ITS TIME FOR A NEW ZR1400 ? SEEING AS I HAVE OWNED THIS VMAX SINCE JULY 87 & NOW ITS 2021.

If you use the advanced search function found in the upper right-hand corner, go to the search then the advanced search and look for information on the water temperature switch, you will find that there are parts readily available from your local auto parts store even in Europe assuming that you have Nissan vehicles there I believe was one of the switches that is compatible with the VMAX. There is also other information for thermostats and other VMax compatible swaps too.

Could you please try using lowercase characters? Thank you.

About getting hot.
My 85 V-Max was driving me crazy. Finally I performed a few small holes in the termostat and now runs perfect :)

Attachments

• PXL_20210901_052525091.jpg
    PXL_20210901_052525091.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 5
Back