• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

85 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, ask on here for someone within reasonable range to you to help you to get it back on the road. I think you will get someone. Just don't take advantage of someone's generous nature who helps you fix it, and then turn around and sell it for a profit. Unless you pay someone for their time and knowlege. It would still be cheaper than a dealership or an independent shop's prices.

A good-running VMax is like few other bikes on the market, they are like a 356 Porsche, except much, much faster. By that I mean, they have personality, are somewhat rarely-encountered on the street, and generally provoke strangers to ask about it, and reminisce about a friend who owned one, or, perhaps they once did.

If you can get someone to help you return it to the road, I think you will be happy with the investment, assuming you don't spend $5,000 in-total to be there. If you're at or under $3K, total expenses, including purchase and repairs, I'd say you're into it for the right $, if that's the price to get it operating reliably and safely. Maybe a bit more, if you're planning to hang onto it, and need to buy some new forking by frank fork downtubes, because yours are scabby with rust, which will eat-alive a new set of fork seals. Never rebuild scabbed fork downtubes, it's not worth your time or $. Only replace them with perfect used ones (1985-1992, or 1993-2007 are the two sizes by years) which likely will be hard to find for something that old. More likely, replacing them is a better deal, and you might as well consider a new set of triple trees to fit the later larger diameter style downtubes/triple trees. At that point, you'll also be required to get the 1993+ larger-diameter front brake rotors, and the brakes that come with the front fork sliders to fit the larger diameter downtubes.

Fix the engine first.

Back