• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

85 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mopheos

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Vmax that I want to sell. I rode it for three years but it has been sitting the last two summers in my basement due to an electrical/charging problem I didn't have time to fix and it is presently not running. Anyone have a general idea of its value as it is? Thx.

If you have any interest in repairing the charging system before selling it, PM me. I've got an '85 with an upgraded charging system that works great. I'd be glad to give you any advice you'd need.

Here's a few photos

Attachments

• 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 112
  • 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 106
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 109
Non-running. Bad 2nd gear. $800 for me. Some would say less, but it's an '85 so some guys looks for those.
Better to part it out. Clean up the tins, scoops, and side covers. Those look ok, and some look for original '85 stuff. Sell those pipes (maybe old marks?). Sell the little windshield. You'll probably get at least $500 for all that. Then someone will want motor bits and pieces.

It's a good looking bike, I coundnt identify the pipes but I'm guessing part out is considerably higher than a non-running Vmax with 2nd gear issue. I think the carbs have value also. The heads/cams/intake/vboost may have value to some of the Venture guys looking to convert.

The Great Carnac says,
I see a roadtrip in Kyle's future, to the east.

ClickHandler.ashx

I'd be hard pressed to give more than $500 bucks for a 1st Generation VMAX with a bad second gear, only way to come out ahead would be to part it out, and that assumes that your labor is going to be free. Just not a lot of money in it, and the VMAX market has been a dumpster fire the past couple of years. It may never come back, all of us old guys that love these things are dying off, and the young kids don't care anything about them. Sad, but true. :confused2:

I'd be hard pressed to give more than $500 bucks for a 1st Generation VMAX with a bad second gear, only way to come out ahead would be to part it out, and that assumes that your labor is going to be free. Just not a lot of money in it, and the VMAX market has been a dumpster fire the past couple of years. It may never come back, all of us old guys that love these things are dying off, and the young kids don't care anything about them. Sad, but true. :confused2:

Its unfortunately true. Out here the only folks that see it and say "oh, a vmax, yea, I remember!" all have some gray, and that happens rarely, they mostly comment on the color more than the Vmaxism of it. Younger performance oriented riders are riding mostly sportbikes from what I can see.

It would be fun to do a poll and see just how old we are and by region but I think most of us have some salt-n-pepper around the temples:clapping:

All that being said I do hope you find the right buyer and get a fair price. It's really a good looking bike and has some resell-able bits but the 2nd gear fix is kind of a big deal.

You're all right, the value is in the toilet, cheap, cheap, cheaper!

Anyone paying attention to the Harley market? The 'Big Thing' isn't Twin Cams. Yes, for the guys who have $20K to drop on the new Milwaukee 8, it's the new thing, but in the online community, and what's driving the guys keeping bikes on the road, it's Panheads and Shovelheads. Knuckleheads? Well, they're ridiculous. Price-wise. Thirty-two years-old, or older, that's what's of interest to people who have been 'into Harleys' for decades, or what's drawing the interest of the younger guys who turn their noses up at the Twin Cams. They want old Harleys. They want them to restore, to modify, to ride, and to show to their friends, "I'm not a Harley wanna-be 'credit card biker,' I built this Pan-Shovel-Knuck!"

"Five-hunneret, take-it or leave-it" I'm in for that!

Sadly, a bad second gear is more-than the bike's worth, to have it fixed, if it's inoperable.

Oh, and the Evos? Just now are they being tolerated as something worthy of spending $ upon. And they haven't been built in, what? Seventeen years?

so i should basically put any money towards a diff bike then and not mine..... dangit!

Back