85 Won't Crank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC

Reaction score
Just got my carbs back from Mr. Unwin and re-installed everything. Went to start the bike and it won't turn over. This has been an intermittent problem for a while. Following is some of the particulars. I am ready to dig in on testing the entire starting system but perhaps some of this info will help me know where to start.

1) With key on and power switched on the Headlight is on, Green Neutral light is on. When I press the start button no cranking and the Red Oil light comes on while pressing the start button.

2) Previously when I've had an issue where the engine does not crank I have been able to put it in any gear and rock the bike back in forth with clutch out a few times; then try and restart the bike and the engine then will crank and start. This time I've tried that many times without any luck.

While my mechanical skills are basic I am prepared to do any / all testing to the various systems (starter motor, starter clutch, sidestand switch & relay, starter switch, starting circuit cut-off relay, main fuse, etc. I am hopeful that someone reading this may have some clue as to what it might be. I do have a complete factory service manual with all the info & spec's.

Thank you,
BC
(972) 966-9078

Last edited:
Look at your sidestand switch. Shoot some lube on the shaft, and work it back & forth so that it fully-travels. A sticking sidestand switch can prevent your bike from starting.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/h...ts-of-the-throttle-side-switch-housing.17272/

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/how-to-recondition-the-clutch-side-switch-pod.20783/

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/how-to-recondition-the-ignition-switch.17281/

Thank you sir ... I've got a minor update. I've tried turning it over in neutral sidestand up and down and the engine will not turn over. I've tried turning it over in gear and the clutch in both with sidestand up and down and the engine would not turn over.

Jumped the starter relay / solenoid with a screwdriver and the engine will turn over. I did not try to start it because I did not want to damage the nuts on the starter relay / solenoid.

This being said it looks like something between the starter switch and starter relay / solenoid is preventing the engine from turning over. Hopefully this will help narrow things down a bit.

Thank you,
BC

If it's an 85-89 model I would start by disconnecting the sidestand relay (4 wire relay up at the left front lower corner of the CDI box rack). Look for the blue/black relay.

Sorry, that was the wrong work around. If you have a no crank condition it's likely not getting power through the blue/white power activation wire going to the solenoid from the start button.

If it's an 85-89 model I would start by disconnecting the sidestand relay (4 wire relay up at the left front lower corner of the CDI box rack). Look for the blue/black relay.

Got it ! Thank you ! BC

Back