86 dies when wet

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otpracer

Reaction score
Hey guys. My 86 dies whenever it gets wet. Weather I wash it or get caught in the rain. After it sits for a day or two and dries out it will restart. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. Any thoughts?

Do you have Dyno-tech ignition? My '86 1260 does the same exact thing.

Maybe narrow it down by using a hair dryer on the ECU the next time this happens....if your back on the road in less than 2 days you found the problem.

I s'pose it could happen with a stock ECU also.......:confused2:

Hey guys. My 86 dies whenever it gets wet. Weather I wash it or get caught in the rain. After it sits for a day or two and dries out it will restart. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. Any thoughts?

Boy do I knopw what you mean :bang head: ...trace some of my old posts, "sensitive to moisture" or something like that...

Anyway, try to completely seal the left scoop, that worked for me :eusa_dance: I was so happy to have solved the problem I even made a write-up for the VBoost magazine at the time...

Attachments

• VBoost12.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 4
I do have the Dyna ignition. I don't think that would get wet when I wash it. I'll look into your posts. Thank you

I do have the Dyna ignition. I don't think that would get wet when I wash it. I'll look into your posts. Thank you

the pdf attached to previous post more or less summarizes it; saves the finding of posts
One thing I forgot: the R/R takes it ground from the frame - bad idea. Route a wire from the R/R ground directly to battery (-) terminal

Back