86 max wires burnt .

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshpra

Reaction score
OK seems simple but no mechanic can tell me . In a nut shell I picked up this 86 real cheap the guy hooked up battery charger and walked away . Well he had the cables backwards.
So I figured voltage regulator burned up cause everything works but it won't charge . So I bought one . When I took off the old one the plug was melted and the wires up to the next connection which has six wires . So the question is six to three which goes where? All three wires to regulator are white . The six wires are : green, red, white, brown, blue, yellow. Total pigtail is 4-5 inches . Any clues?????

It's best you get a manual but there is also a colored wire Chart. Someone could probably post a picture of here to get you by for now.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Diagram great I could rewire the whole bike . Right up to the six wire plug that goes to three for the regulator. Could be me . Maybe I need to go deeper in . Diagram shows three to regulator and I got those three but no plug for the other end .

Diagram great I could rewire the whole bike . Right up to the six wire plug that goes to three for the regulator. Could be me . Maybe I need to go deeper in . Diagram shows three to regulator and I got those three but no plug for the other end .

Sounds like your bike has been rewired. There is no six-wire plug (with the colors previously described) in the vicinity of the RR.
The three wires that you have identified as going to the stator can be hooked up in any configuration to the three white wires attached to the RR.
After that, you will have to trace which wire from the six-wire plug goes to the positive (red)wire of the battery, directly downstream of the main 30 amp fuse. The OEM method is to make the connection at the "crimp" joint, located behind the battery. You MAY have two of these positive wires - one hooks as described, the other going directly to the battery positive post. This is a common modification that many owners make, to obtain maximum charging rate from the RR. This would account for the six wire total as well.
The last wire should be a dedicated ground. This was not found originally in the 86 models, since the RR was grounded thru the frame.
If you purchased an older style RR, it will not have a ground wire attached.
Post some pics of your RR, and the six -wire plug.
Cheers!

I recently purchased an 86 Max and the previous owners had bypassed or mod'ed nearly every electrical component on the bike making repairs a nightmare. I ripped out the old harness and bought a stock used one off Ebay for $40. Might be best to start with a known good harness and go from there. I have zero experience working on a Max (until now!) and it wasn't that hard to swap the harness. Removing the carbs helped a lot.

Fatbiker

In my searching for a replacement R/R I did run across a few that had 5 wires and would be configured like our Esteemed Electrical Knowledgebase, Miles Long mentioned.
When you have an electrical issue Miles Long, EEK will be there to help!:biglaugh:
Take a look at Eastern Beaver connectors page to see if you could identify your connectors. I actually had mismatched connectors coming from my R/R! The white connector came from the wiring loom and the black connector came from the R/R and were appropriately zip tied together and wrapped in a big ball of electrical tape! But it has worked flawlessly the 7 years I have owned my Vmax, so must have been a ok connection.
I'm sure Gannon would be able to source these connectors as well.

As Miles note, there should be 3 white wires from the stator which connect to 3 wires on the voltage regulator. These are ac current wires and no specific orientation is required in the connector (some hard wire these for maximum charging efficiency).

There should be a 6 wire connector from the pickup coils though only 5 wires are used. This connector routes normally up and junctions above the back of the battery. This DOES matter to the orientation of the wiring.

The only other wires on that left side:
Large Black - From the starter to the relay (above the battery)
Light Blue - Neutral Sending Unit
White (diagram shows black which is usually a thick protective covering) - Oil Level Sending Unit - Connects to Red/Black
Red - From the Regulator to the Harness Charge Input
Black - From the Regulator to the Harness (for ground)
Black and Blue/Yellow (2 wire) - Sidestand Switch

In my searching for a replacement R/R I did run across a few that had 5 wires and would be configured like our Esteemed Electrical Knowledgebase, Miles Long mentioned.
When you have an electrical issue Miles Long, EEK will be there to help!:biglaugh:

I've just put another check in the mail for you, Brian. Thanks again!:punk:

Wouldn't it just be simpler to go buy the correct/updated/finned R/R for this bike and NOT deal with having to figure out wire colors?

One note for pre '94 or is it '96 the R/R grounds through the frame. They have separate connectors for the stator wires (not sure, I had both a white and a black connector), the positive red wire (white connector), there is no ground wire (black??) as the R/R grounds to the footpeg bracket.
Although on mine I did find a 16 or 18 ga ground wire that may be stock? I most likely will eliminate this other wire if that is possible???

In any case I added a JKVmax ground cable kit to unite all the grounds with a HD cable setup which I will run to my new R/R along with the extended power and stator wires with all new Eastern Beaver sealed connectors.

I checked on your website but could not find the R/R connectors that EB had. I should have just talked to you. Do you have wire as well?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk w/ vboost!

I need a pic... You got one? Pm me

G

I have already purchased the connectors from EB but the connectors are:
Stator wire R/R : Sumitomo 3P250-L
3PM250K-3261.jpg

R/R connectors: Grey for Stator wires and Black for + and - wires.
Furukawa QLW .250 sealed connectors
furukawa_3P-250_1028.jpg

Groovy looking connectors, Brian. Nearly as interesting as the chick on the boat.
Can you keep a secret? I'd hate to have Gannon, Sean, Mike, Steve, Rusty or any of the other electrical/linesmen/transformer gurus find out but......
For those three pairs of stator - RR wires, I wound them together tight, put on some Coppershield, and then.....screwed on Marr connectors!
Is that "backwoods' or what!:punk:
Cheers!

I have already purchased the connectors from EB but the connectors are:
Stator wire R/R : Sumitomo 3P250-L
View attachment 42513

R/R connectors: Grey for Stator wires and Black for + and - wires.
Furukawa QLW .250 sealed connectors
View attachment 42514

I have the white connectors on hand. The others I do not but if you want them I can get in touch with my supplier and have them check for them.

G

Back