86 TIRE installation in 02 FRONT FORKS

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll lookk for it. Don't know if its the area i live or what, but I never see another Max rider, never. it would be great to have some other Max guys to ride with.

Axles are the same. Wheels are the same (or interchangeable). Brake rotors were larger 298mm in 93-07 vs 280mm in 85-92. Length of forks in the same. Steering Stem is the same. Head bearings are the same. Triples are different. Fork Brake is different. Fenders are the same. All headlight, riser and crown parts are the same. Brake lines and splitter are the same. Calipers and bolt spacing are different (2 piston vs 4 piston). Axle spacers and speedo drive parts are the same.
Thank you for the information.
My rotors are 300 mm,so if I install my Brembo calipers "direct on"(without the adapter ),it will work,isnn´t it?
Thank you for the support.

The 85-92 vs 93-07 caliper spacing is different as well as offsets so you can't take calipers that fit one and simply bolt on to the other without some sort of adapter.

The 85-92 vs 93-07 caliper spacing is different as well as offsets so you can't take calipers that fit one and simply bolt on to the other without some sort of adapter.
Hi,yes I know,sorry for not to be myself clear.
I have in my 86 forks a Brembi Kit (rotors of 300mm and calipers included),for calipers needed to install an adapters(included in the Kit),an now I would like to swap them in a 02 Forks.
I know that 02 rotors are 298mm but I do not know if the “fittings” of the calipers in the down tubes are the same in both models,with the only difference of the 1 piston/2 piston calipers.
Resuming,86 calipers and 02 calipers have the same fittings(distance between bolts )
Thank you for the support🍻

Resuming,86 calipers and 02 calipers have the same fittings(distance between bolts )
No they do not. One is I believe 82mm while the other 1993-2007 is I know 100mm. Sean also said there is a difference. Early forks have a drain screw for fork oil, later models don't. Early forks with 40mm downtubes have a manifold for the single air schrader valve and newer 43mm downtube forks have individual schrader valves in each downtube cap.

It sounds like you'll need to just fit the new fork, and then see what you need to do to make your Brembo brakes fit, or sell the front end you remove, with the Brembo kit, and simply install the two pairs opposed-pistons O.E.M. Yamaha original factory equipment calipers. That takes the 298mm rotors and keeps the 5/8" bore Yamaha master cylinder. If you don't already have stainless steel hoses, adding them and some quality HH rated brake pads from a known company like EBC or another supplier, should provide you with good braking.

Making new mounting brackets for your Brembo brakes is a possibility, but I suspect may be an expensive undertaking. Who knows, maybe contacting Brembo with your current equipment info may result in their simply being able to supply you with new mounting brackets to account for the differences.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back