86 VF1000R..... I found one!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/5014913155.html

Price is more than I would like to spend. But its one bike I do miss. It had smooth power, it was fast and comfortable.

This one looks decent, considering they only imported 2600 of them.

00h0h_hMBROM11m3j_600x450.jpg

01212_j7LDE5h2AfF_600x450.jpg
00i0i_dBW69ecfKu6_600x450.jpg

nice! I have a 84 sitting in my shed with a rusted tank on the inside.
Still pretty good shape just havent the time or $$ to get it back to greatness.
Never got to ride one yet but am interested in the power delivery.

Reading for you: http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/honda-vf1000r.aspx

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/specs/85-86-vf1000r.html

Honda VF1000R
Years produced:
1985-1986 (U.S.)
Claimed power: 117hp @ 10,000rpm (92hp @ 10,000rpm as tested by Cycle)
Top speed: 149mph (period test)
Engine type: 998cc DOHC, liquid-cooled 90-degree V4
Weight: 277kg (610lb) w/ full tank

Man, that's FAT!

Here's one style mod:
MagnificantBastard.jpg

Ready for the much-vaunted Zombie Apocalypse. Though since you are a fan of this bike, the above image may bring tears of sadness to your eyes.

One year later, Yamaha put the VF1000R solidly out of contention for any awards as the best sportbike of the year, w/the release of the FZR1000. Making fully 25% more rear-wheel horsepower (122 in period tests) than the VFR1000R, and weighing over a hundred twenty-five pounds less ready to ride, w/a perimeter beam aluminum frame, five valves per cylinder, 17" front wheel, 18" rear, w/radial tires, and typical Yamaha attention to detail, fit, and finish, the Honda was immediately a 'quaint piece of recent motorcycle history.'
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_fzr1000_87.htm

I understand the fun of the search for a bike you admired and wanted, but couldn't afford at the time, so get it before it gets away.

Yamaha%20FZR1000%2087%20%204.jpg

I bought one of the above from my friend who bought it new in Ft. Lauderdale, after he put 2900 mi on it in a year and sold it to me. Still have it, still on the road, though I don't ride it much. I just like to look at it, a great example of the bike tech of the time. 2000 were imported to the USA. I had owned several KZ1000's, and the difference was hard to believe, coming off them and getting onto one of these, only five years newer than my newest KZ1000. I had it as an Eddie Lawson Replica, 33 mm Mikuni smoothbores, the Kerker aluminum can 4/1, a Falicon undercut transmission, Konis, SS brake lines, but still far behind the FZR, stock.

The Kawasaki ZX-11 became the speed king within a couple of years, but it didn't handle as-well as the FZR, which stepped-up its game w/the EXUP engine/exhaust, a modified frame, and 17" rear wheel.

Power delivery is typical Honda. Smooth and powerful. It definitely can give a vmax a run for the money. It's like an early sport touring bike.

I do like the looks of them and the European Bol d'Or racing tie-in was cool. Of course the HRC racer was probably not the production bike in any sense.

1185259_625416814158694_1012940496_n.jpg

This is about 15 years ago I think. I had two sets of plastics, both junk. I wish I could find more pictures of this.

Eventually mine wore CBR f2 forks and wheels. I machined the parts for the conversion. dropped one tooth in front and up two in the rear. First time I took it out I thought the clutch was bad.... all it would do is leave long black marks every where lol.

I don't remember my best times with it, I know it ran in the 11's though all stock.

It was a fun bike.

Cool pic Todd, you've grown a little in the last 15 years, LOL HA JK ! passing the bug on to the son that's the best, trying to do the same with mine !

Nice find , I really enjoyed mine when I had it . A true classic when all is said and done . Typical V-power and very good handling in corners...good luck and enjoy it .

Back