86 yamaha vmax cam timing ???need help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjcarr02

Reaction score
OK heres whats going on ive had my vmax for about 6 years and i though it might be time to give it a good once over so i rebuilt the carbs changed the plugs plug wires flushed out the radiator all the basic stuff and put ut back together but still didnt run like i thought it should so i did a valve ajustment job exaust valves were extremly tight got that fixed and then i took a look at the timing and its got me boggled i went by my manual and the intake cam on the front cylinder was off so i AGAIN WENT BY THE BOOK and set it with all the big dots with the timing marks and everything lookd good but i went to turn the engine over with my wrench just to make sure it would turn over and it was frozen up wouldnt budge at all so i loosened up the cam chain and kept ajusting it one chain link at a time until it would turn over and it was right back where it was when i first started ajusting it ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME ITS GOT ME COMPLETELY STUMPED:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Rear Head - T1 Mark - Small Dots
Rotate Engine Counter Clockwise 430 degrees (360 plus 70)
Front Head - T2 Mark - Large Dots

I don't do it exactly per the manual which has you leave the sprockets loose. I leave the sprockets bolted up and pull the slack out of the chain to get the alignment. On one head you will have to hold one cam against the tension of the valves and on the other head it will be the opposite cam you have to hold tension on.

I don't do it exactly per the manual which has you leave the sprockets loose. I leave the sprockets bolted up and pull the slack out of the chain to get the alignment. On one head you will have to hold one cam against the tension of the valves and on the other head it will be the opposite cam you have to hold tension on.

thanks! il give it a shot

+1 on not leaving the sprockets loose, that's just crazy trying to get the bolts started on the sprockets while holding all that shit in place.

You need Damon's video, makes it very easy to do this.

Yes too on Sean's comments on the dots, they do that so that the two exhaust cams are identical and same for the intakes, but depending in where they are installed different timing marks are used.

Send a PM to "damon". He'll hook you up. Worth It to support a forum member.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back