88 Stock Coil - Plug Wire Loose

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ectobass

Reaction score
Ok, newbie question here. Background first: I removed the battery on the VMX I bought a month ago to get a good look at it and charge it. In the process I "loosened" the one of the plug wires as it goes into the coil - passenger side - ha ha! I am getting random backfiring and a discolored plug. The fitting that holds the wire does not appear to compress on the wire when I tighten it, so I am not convinced I am getting a tight connection. So my questions are:

Is this a compression fitting? If so is there a small o-ring or other piece that may be missing that goes around the plug wire?

Other cost effective options?

I did search the forum and I am giving some thought to the COP replacement, but it's a little close to Christmas. "Gee Timothy, what did Santa bring you? I'll trade you this Nintendo DS game for those silly wires. Come back here! I SAID GIMME THOSE!!"

There is a rubber 'olive' that fits around the base of the HT lead which is compressed when the securing ring is done up.

Unfortunately Yameringha don't show it as a serviced item on the parts fiche.

Perhaps some kind soul may have a spare laying around they could donate?

The screw is in the plug cap, the coil is a push in with a rubber olive around the wire to hold it when tightened.

Thank you so very much for the quick replies. It wasn't obvious the grommet was a separate piece. Cleaned and trimmed the wire; added a little electrical tape around the outside of the grommet and a single wrap around the wire to give it some bite. Some dielectric grease and I think we are good to go. Thanks again! It would have helped if I had my glasses on when I looked at it the first time.

The screw is in the plug cap, the coil is a push in with a rubber olive around the wire to hold it when tightened.

Rhoy, I'm not diagreeing with you but I could have swore the coils had a screw inside of it, oh well I've been wrong before.

Back