89' Oil filter O-ring size

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ze Max

Reaction score
Hi guys

It's time for my 89' to get its first oil change (by me), so I picked up an oil filter from the local Yam dealer, but he didn't have have the O-ring in stock. What size is that bloody thing? same as the filter 101mm?? and thickness? and is it round section??

Sorry if it's been posted somewhere.... can't find anything at all! :bang head::bang head:

Agreed, rarely do you need to replace it. If you get a fram it will actually come with new orings (though again I don't normally replace it). Do pay attention though for the spring and spring seating washer. We have a video on youtube, facebook, and probably here about that.

Sean

I did an oil change on a friends bike and used OEM filter and it didn't come with the damn o-rings. I fitted everything back up and the bloody thing started leaking by the small one on the screw. I removed them and they were squared. The o-ring price was preposterous so i redid it with some silicon gasket and it was fine...

I'd have thought the dimensions would have been easier to find!

Cheers guys I'll have a look at the O ring in there at moment and see if it can be reused

Edit: I've just watched Sean's video, good advice!!

Last edited:
All done, seems like it's not leaking, just went for a quick spin around the neighborhood and it all seems fine with the old O ring.
However the glass thing to check the oil level makes it hard to check the, well, oil level.
The Vmax takes 3.8 liters right?

All done, seems like it's not leaking, just went for a quick spin around the neighborhood and it all seems fine with the old O ring.
However the glass thing to check the oil level makes it hard to check the, well, oil level.

sounds about right. 3.6 usually here.

With a filter change that is correct.

I'm a bit concerned with the oil level window, it's now cleared and I can't see any level, like if it was empty. And I know for sure there's oil... so why can't I see that bloody level?

Is the bike on side stand? If so put it vertical and then check again... You can carefully pull on the handlebar till you feel no side pressure and then peek on the window

I'll try that, cheers

On the manual it also says to check with warm engine. I'll do that tomorow

Latest posts

Back