89' Vmax carb mounting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newells9

Reaction score
HI there, My 89' Vmax only has 20,000 miles on it and being a new owner I'm Just getting into fixing the leaks and squeeks before they become larger problems. All 4 rubber carb joints are cracking { dry rotting }. Is it possible to lift the 4 carbs up as 1 assy. re/re the affected joints ... all with out disturbing and or having any further maintenance issues?

Last edited:
yes the carb assembly is one unit so after lossening the clamps and sometimes fighting with it a bit they should pop off, id undo the fuel line and undo the throttle cables at the slide block and just move the carb rack off to the side. should be easy as pie after that

+1. what tugla said.
Here read this: How to remove carbs and access float bowls It should provide a little more insight.
Popping off the rack is the hardest part. I sometimes have to take a broom handle to it. Not to whack it, of course LOL, but to leverage off one side and then man handle the other.

kelowna eh, i might be visiting friends in penticton next week end......if ya still needed a hand with the bike i could help....not that its hard to chg carb boots....is it riding season out there yet?

See Sean Morley at Morley's Muscle as found at this forum for your boots. His address is [email protected]
There are four boots between intakes and carbs and four from carbs to airbox. There are boots between Vboost assembly and intakes if they are bad.
You can do it!

See Sean Morley at Morley's Muscle as found at this forum for your boots. His address is [email protected]
There are four boots between intakes and carbs and four from carbs to airbox. There are boots between Vboost assembly and intakes if they are bad.
You can do it!

"Ah, Patmax! Deja-vu, all-over again!":biglaugh:

I prefer to use a mid size crowbar, handy for prying-off carb sets, and useful for keeping this fellow at-bay:

images

Be-sure to carefully-choose where to lever the carbs as the wrong choice may result in a cracked carb body. The fulcrum choice is for me, the valve cover. Same-goes for using an impact driver to remove a frozen diaphragm cover screw or a float bowl screw. Here, I recommend either using a Dremel cut-off disc to make your buggered phillips screw into a slot-head screw, or a pair of 10" straight-jaw Vise-Grips.

Back