90 no crank click click issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayber

Reaction score
My 90 is not cranking after starter clutch replace. Ive replaced solenoid and rebuilt the starter with no luck. I installed a new battery and same thing. I did get the starter to crank over the bike very very slow a couple times. I disassembled the starter clutch to make sure I had it all together right and it was. Turns over by hand just fine. Starter bench tests fine. 12.8v at battery. .1v across solenoid while cranking which is within spec <.3
Jumping across solenoid does nothing but heat up the cable going to starter.
I dont think its any failsafes as it cranked just did so very slowly.
Im looking to sell the bike but wanted it running before doing so. Help me out if you can.

There's a thread on here somewhere for how to clean and reassemble the starter, but I'd start with checking all the grounds.

Make sure you have re-installed the three starter gears correctly. If they are improperly installed they will bind once the stator cover is torqued down.

I havent had time to work on it any but Ill definitely look into these suggestions., Thanks

Had a sec between burger flips to do some number tests..
Battery voltage 12.7 battery side of solenoid 12.7 starter side of solenoid 0v until cranking 6.8v
At starter while cranking 6.7v no wonder it wont crank. Quick resistance check .1 ohms on wiring.
Lug on starter looks normal. Washer lockwasher nut starter wire lockwasher nut. Have .2ohm resistance from lug to ground. quick check cranking was over 450 but didnt have time to get positive readings...

Any ideas from these numbers to look for...back to the burgers

Sounds like a whole lotta resistance in that wire to the starter. I'm thinkin' a replacement wire may solve the problem. Or, your battery is shot. Won't pull a load on it. You could try jumping from the battery to the starter terminal, but be ready to remove the jumper if nothing is happening. Solenoid problem? They rarely fail, but it is possible. If you can jump from the battery to the starter and bypass the solenoid, and it starts, no problem, then you may have found the issue.

If the battery load tests OK, then I'd first suspect the switch or starter button for a bad connection before I'd pull out any wires. Switches go bad. Starter buttons go bad.

Make sure you have re-installed the three starter gears correctly. If they are improperly installed they will bind once the stator cover is torqued down.

Im beginning to think this is where Ill check next. Dont think its a switch or anything as it throws in the solenoid. Wouldnt there be no click if the switch or starter button is dead?

If the starter gears are jammed would that explain the voltage drop to 6v at starter motor?

Guess Ill pull side covers again and make sure everything is correct.

I'm with Damon on this one.
If your bike started normally before the starter clutch repair, 99% chance that the problem is related.
Did you use a new side cover gasket ? Previous threads regarding clutch repair state that a OEM gasket is required to maintain clearances. Just using a sealer with cause things to bind up. With the bike on the centerstand (to mimimize oil loss), why not try backing off the periphery bolts a bit - maybe 1/2 turn each? If the bike turns over even a tad easier, you will have nailed the problem.
FireMedic's suggestion also makes a lot of sense. Jumping directly to the starter motor will tell you the problem is wiring/component related, IF the bike turns over normally.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Humm good suggestion. No gasket just sealer.. ill try loosening.. 12v direct to starter still didnt crank.

I'm with Damon on this one.
If your bike started normally before the starter clutch repair, 99% chance that the problem is related.
Did you use a new side cover gasket ? Previous threads regarding clutch repair state that a OEM gasket is required to maintain clearances. Just using a sealer with cause things to bind up. With the bike on the sidestand (to mimimize oil loss), why not try backing off the periphery bolts a bit - maybe 1/2 turn each? If the bike turns over even a tad easier, you will have nailed the problem.
FireMedic's suggestion also makes a lot of sense. Jumping directly to the starter motor will tell you the problem is wiring/component related, IF the bike turns over normally.
Cheers!

you my friend are a freaking GENIUS!! Loosened the side cover bolts and so help me God it cranked so fast it started immediately! YOU ROCK!!!!
Guess I need to order me a side cover gasket. Million thanks!!

you my friend are a freaking GENIUS!! Loosened the side cover bolts and so help me God it cranked so fast it started immediately! YOU ROCK!!!!

Thank you. Good luck with selling your bike.
Cheers!
edit - most folks also replace the middle gear cover gasket at the same time. The lower bolt for this cover is also a drain, so a seal is used. The old one usually is still usable.

If it wasn't for his boyish good looks more people would recognize Miles' genius!
I once saw him balance his oil cap on his side engine case while hitting triple digit speeds, showcasing his motorcycle riding prowess! True story!

So now Im at a crossroads of having it fixed and able to sell but................ I love the damn thing too much... UGGGGHHH what to do now... /thread

Here maybe this will help KEEP IT !!!!!!!! you know the second after it leaves the driveway your gonna regret it, just sayin :)

Back