91 Octane needed?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytrozula

Reaction score
ive come across several stations that did not carry or did not have the premium fuel that Yamaha says is needed for the Gen2. What are the consequences of running 87 octane? I have not noticed any difference at all in the handful of times it was used.

Some people will argue that it makes no difference and runs fine on 87.But mine gets better fuel mileage on 91-93.Enough to make it worth the extra cost at the pump.

Some people will argue that it makes no difference and runs fine on 87.But mine gets better fuel mileage on 91-93.Enough to make it worth the extra cost at the pump.

From what Ive been told....the Gen 2 needs all of the help that it can get.

The lower octanes will perform just fine during normal driving and even during performance riding during most weathers except the hottest summer days.

I would not run anything lower than 89.

The engine will ping especially with warmer temperatures.

If you get the Nash flash, I think he tunes it so that it only requires 89. If you are at higher altitudes the octane requirement goes down as well.

I try to run at least 91 in mine. There's a couple of places here that have 93. I use that as much as I can.

Back