92 vmax with stage 7, no fuel when warm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockslinger

Reaction score
Hello all, long story short, I came across a 92 stage 7 with a 4 into 1 two brothers exhaust, and with what I think is a Dynatec 3000 (a bunch of little dip switches that control timing and rev limiter). Anway, it has been parked with fuel in it for the last 8 years. Cleaned the carbs, tank, and added a new fuel filter. Runs great and pulls hard, for about 15 min of ridding, then the problems start
It's like it is running out of fuel. Starts lagging on power and then dies. At first I thought it may be a fuel pump since I could hear the pump cycle, but I wasn't getting any fuel, so I got a Mr gasket 42 pump to throw onto it and see if it fixes the problem. Same issue, let the thing sit for a few hours and it starts right back up and runs like it should, but in 15 min or so, starts running poorly again. Thoughts or suggestions? Anything will help at this point. Could it be a regulator? I was thinking about seeing if when it does it that I would see if anything comes out of the fuel drains. If nothing, then I was going to see if a direct connect to the battery could bypass the regulator and just go full pump to see of it even starts even though it might run rich.

Next time remove gas cap and listen for whoosh of air.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Next time remove gas cap and listen for whoosh of air.

That is a good thought. I did not think of that. I will take a bit of compressed air and see if the vent is working or not. There was quite a bit of gunk in it all to the point that I needed to put a mighty vac on the supply line to get it unplugged. At 30 psi, it finally started flowing a little bit of fuel. Flowing just fine now after pumping quite a bit of cleaner through it and pulling out quite a bit of big chunks of rust out of it. Didn't even think it of checking the vent. And it makes a lot of sense since it also seams to be that if it sits for 10 min and it starts, I can get it running for a longer length of time than when it sits for 5 min and I can start it. Usually with a five or ten min wait, it will only run for a few min. even the little drain on the rubber catch around the filler was plugged. I will check that this morning and report back asap!

Re: 92 vmax with stage 7, no fuel when worm

IMG_20160422_175752703_zpslo6gkggi.jpg.html

Old fuel filter! Pretty nasty and full of rust

For some reason I can't get the photo to come up with my phone using photo bucket.

Also sound like your fuel pump is clogging too. You should blow that out too- not with compressed air as you'll flip the diaphragms,your lungs are enough. Blow through the larger size inlet.

So when I pull the seat, there is what I think is a vent hose just to the right (as you are sitting on it) of the filler. Pull the hose off of it and I can blow or suck from the tank with the cap off. Blow down the rubber hose and it is plugged up, blow up on the rubber hose from the bottom and it is plugged. There is what looks like a check valve inline on the rubber hose that comes from the tank. It is mounted on the battery box and I pulled it out. This "check valve" thing rattles like a car PCV valve. I couldn't get it to move air in any direction. Rattle it around a little and it starts Flowing air in either direction for a few in out cycle with my mouth, then it stops Flowing air again in either direction. Could this be my problem or am I headed in the wrong direction?

Well that check valve is the anti tip over valve, if i remember the correct wording. If the bike tips over, it will prevent gas from going to the carbs and make the bike die.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a tip over valve in case bike is laid out. In normal position air should flow both ways. Upside down, neither.

Well it's on what I think is the tank vent. Maybe a anti tip over valve for the vent? Going to see if I can fine one here in town. If not, get the carb and choke cleaner and SE if I can get it to work, then order a new one.

Yeah, it's on the tank vent

Awesome. Thanks. I'll report back with what happens. Sounds like it might be my issue.

It'll run fine w/o the valve. Just don't tip over. :)

Hahaha good plan :D Couldn't find one. Put a bunch of carb and choke cleaner through it and it is now as good as new. Raining today, so I will probably take it for a ride tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your ideas. I hope this fixes the issue.

mine must be broke, mine try's to tip over all the time.:rofl_200:

So that was not the problem. . . got a little bit of fuel out of the bowls, but not much. Went 13 miles before it stopped running.

Latest posts

Back