93 Octane for the Max....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
I have never once put high octane in my Max. I always put 87, but after reading the "clicking" post I decided I would see if high octane stopped my clicking in the motor.

Not only did it stop the clicking metallic sound (it was very faint) that I would always have BUT dam does the bike seem to run smoother with high octane!

Has anyone else noticed this? My bike felt smoother than ever tonite and ran great. Someone tell me i'm imagining things here???

I have never once put high octane in my Max. I always put 87, but after reading the "clicking" post I decided I would see if high octane stopped my clicking in the motor.

Not only did it stop the clicking metallic sound (it was very faint) that I would always have BUT dam does the bike seem to run smoother with high octane!

Has anyone else noticed this? My bike felt smoother than ever tonite and ran great. Someone tell me i'm imagining things here???

I tried High Test on both my Max and Magna, both "seemed" smoother but I am susceptible to subtle influences.. like when I see a commercial for Cheerios I gotta have a bowl of them!

Shit, now I gotta get a freakin' bowl of Cheerios :)

Gary

I only run premium, unless I'm in a situation that I can't.
Regular, the few time I've had to run it, made my 85 sluggish.
When it's all about horsepower, regular doesn't make sense!
I run regular in my stock slammed 4x4 pickup only....even the lawnmower and the weedwacker get Premium!
How do you eat....fast food or a nice healthy sit down home cooked meal?
It's not your imagination.

my bike has been runnin just fine on 87 reg.

its a proven fact that u will luze hp with 93 UNLESS u have a high compression engine.

93 also burns slower to reduce detonation.

ill try it just for shitz n giggles tho:rofl_200:

i hear a slight ticking noise as well....but i was thinking that maybe the valves were set at high spec. and my bike is fairly new.....so maybe it would tighten up a bit in a cple thousand miles. :ummm:

So who wants me to go and get some racing gas? We have 103 octane available locally? Anyone try that yet?

I use 93 in mine. I run alot in high altitude (5500 and above). Mine seems to run better with 93 in the high altitude then it does with 87. I will never run 85 in my max or any other vehicle I own.

my bike has been runnin just fine on 87 reg.

its a proven fact that u will luze hp with 93 UNLESS u have a high compression engine.

93 also burns slower to reduce detonation.

ill try it just for shitz n giggles tho:rofl_200:

i hear a slight ticking noise as well....but i was thinking that maybe the valves were set at high spec. and my bike is fairly new.....so maybe it would tighten up a bit in a cple thousand miles. :ummm:

Anything over 10:1 compression is borderline high compression depending on timing.
10.5:1 is enough to feel the difference.
With all the threads on carb tuning, you would think that a little help would be obvious!
If you're happy with less, I don't know what else to say!

I tested my bike with all 3 grades of gasoline. Regular was ok, but when I ran through with 2 tanks of mid-grade, I noticed a definite increase in performance. When I bumped from mid-grade to premium I noticed NO difference, aside from my pocket being an extra dollar or two light.
I wish I could find a pump around here with race fuel....I'd be curious to try it once.

No man ever regrets buying quality.
Part of the consideration is how much cleaner it burns.
The additives that keep the fuel system clean are as well.
Race fuel mmmmmm.....it smells sooo goood!
116 Torco is wicked shit....$$$$$$....how bad do you want it?
In Canada, it was around $10.00/gal last year, so......

I tested my bike with all 3 grades of gasoline. Regular was ok, but when I ran through with 2 tanks of mid-grade, I noticed a definite increase in performance. When I bumped from mid-grade to premium I noticed NO difference, aside from my pocket being an extra dollar or two light.
I wish I could find a pump around here with race fuel....I'd be curious to try it once.

No man ever regrets buying quality.
Part of the consideration is how much cleaner it burns.
The additives that keep the fuel system clean are as well.
Race fuel mmmmmm.....it smells sooo goood!
116 Torco is wicked shit....$$$$$$....how bad do you want it?
In Canada, it was around $10.00/gal last year, so......

I want to get it...but I want to be sure it doesn't fuck anything up...thoughts?

I almost dont want to post in this nonsense thread.
HOW MANY TIMES does this have to be brought up to only be kicked around again again.
PREMIUM fuel does not mean BETTER fuel!!!!!!!!!
HIGHER OCTANE does not mean MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is all marketing, put the word premium next to something and we all think it is better.
Do google searches on this you will see the EVIDENCE.
Here is another thead on this subject
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6269&highlight=octane
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6062&highlight=octane
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3109&highlight=octane
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3187&highlight=octane

Pay particular attention to the last one.
Cheers

Some stations you have to buy the premium to get gas with no ethanol in it.

I'm suprised you felt a difference at altitude, usually at higher
altitude you can get away with lower octane levels and higher
compression. Strange ?
I also read an article in Carcraft or Hot Rod mag. some time back
where they stated that the majority of vehicles running premium
didn't need to. Obviously if your running 10.5 to 1 or higher
you would want a higher octane especially at see level. Trust
me if your bike wants high test it will let you know up to and
including pinging. Having said that I run 93 because we are
only talking 80 cents difference in price.
So yea, I'm a hipocrite.:ummm:
Chris

I use 93 in mine. I run alot in high altitude (5500 and above). Mine seems to run better with 93 in the high altitude then it does with 87. I will never run 85 in my max or any other vehicle I own.

........this nonsense thread?
Well aren't we full of ourselves?
You've been around here for a couple of years, myself a couple weeks.
Please forgive me....how could I?
If you don't think 116 Torco will make a difference, I don't know what to say?
Most of my experience is from short track stock cars.
In the Modified class with a 155psi and a .475 lift rule, if you don't run Torco, you don't run first.
There are also a couple of 9:1 Late Models that HAVE to use it!
Ha, Ha, Ha.....I'm sure it's all in there head!

High octane means Higher Vapor Pressure = harder to ignite. A lot of race vehicles run high compression motors or they run a lot of timing advance to maximize power. Low octane fuels in these vehicles can cause pinging (pre-ignition) which robs power & in severe cases can cause engine damage - I've acually seen holes blown through pistons. High octane fuels will not ignite as easily & resist pinging which allows racers to maximize their power output when using these fuels. You can run high test in a VMAX with no probs, but because it is a relativly low compression engine without a huge amount of timing advance you would probably not see any difference in power output. The worst you would probably find is harder starting when cold (harder to ignite), but then again VMAX's run like shit when cold anyway, so what's the diff ? Fuel additives are a whole different story - some companies runs additives that may burn cleaner than others, so if you find one that your bike likes better, run it. It won't hurt anything. But high octane gasoline contains no more power than low octane gasoline. It's simply a matter of vapor pressure - low pressure, easier to ignite, high pressure, harder to ignite. You can run 116 octane in your lawn mower - it won't hurt a thing, or have more power - but it sure as hell won't spark knock either... :biglaugh:

Back