93 VMAX 2nd gear elusive shim and specification

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnelson

Reaction score
Okay, I have started the project. It is my 93 Vmax with the bad Second gear. I purchased all of my parts online. On the parts fish for a 1993, they show a spacer or shim between the bearing and the first gear wheel. It is shown as item number 25. There are three item 25's shown under the parts section, each one is a different thickness. When I took my engine apart this shim was not installed in the transmission. When I refer to an older model parts fish, let's say 1985, this shim is not shown in the parts breakdown. The exact part number for this shim is 90201-256K5, six, and seven. Can anyone tell me what the clearance specification for this shim is, or if I need it? It is the shim on the drive axle shaft, at the opposite end from the ring gear, between the bearing and the first gear wheel. Please help if you can, thank you.

Attachments

• 5049_50e383dc8f75a.jpg
    5049_50e383dc8f75a.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 27
Yes, the shim was a later edition to the transmission to help engagment issues. You can install one on your trans and you can follow the measurement procedure in the manual to find out which one you need. I usually just set the trans in the case and use the thickest shim that will fit. If you put your trans in place and all the way over you'll see there is a lot of slop on the gear where it can shift side to side.

The Engine is back together, bead blasted painted and the engine is setting the frame. I did remove the swing arm to reinstall, but I need to know what the secret is to getting the drive shaft back into the u joint? Any thoughts?

The Engine is back together, bead blasted painted and the engine is setting the frame. I did remove the swing arm to reinstall, but I need to know what the secret is to getting the drive shaft back into the u joint? Any thoughts?

Let the swing arrm hang down so as to match the angle of the u-joint. Then slide drive shaft up and in...give a little turn to promote engagement. Should go right together :)

Takes about 10-20 seconds for me most of the time but I have too much experience at it. You have to imagine that the shaft is an extension of your finger and you're reaching in with the tip to find that "sweet spot". Lift up on the end and rotate to get the shaft started into the tip. Then pop it into place with your palm.

Sean

Takes about 10-20 seconds for me most of the time but I have too much experience at it. You have to imagine that the shaft is an extension of your finger and you're reaching in with the tip to find that "sweet spot". Lift up on the end and rotate to get the shaft started into the tip. Then pop it into place with your palm.

Sean

Crap Sean! You should write erotica...

He only asked about getting it in! He didn't ask how long it will last!

Rusty, thanks. My 93 engine came with no shims, but with what I thought a lot of play, so I purchased all three sizes and filled the void with a combination that easily fit. Since I did not have your information, I figured I'd try something. The engine is back together now and sitting in the frame.

I'd like to thank everyone for your help on my project! I don't think that it will be a show bike, but I'll post more pictures when I get it back together.

Bill

Rusty McNeil: Crap Sean! You should write erotica...
you2low: :rofl_200::rofl_200: but might want to leave the 10-20 second part out:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
one2dmax: He only asked about getting it in! He didn't ask how long it will last!

Thanks Guys. Now I am informed and satisfied!
:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
Smoking-Monkey-143.jpg

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Congrats on the rebuild btw! :punk::punk: :worthy::worthy:

Back