96 sitting for 4 + years.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The interior is cedar boards from an old fence .
The can has 2 springs attached to it, and yes the parts for the calipers are on order, so it'll be next weeks project. Always use fresh brake fluid.....đź‘Ť

I will have a few questions about the boost bypass and how to make sure it works or remove it to go back to stock

Attachments

• F8AE4A94-B2DF-41DF-AE82-04180398CA30.jpeg
    F8AE4A94-B2DF-41DF-AE82-04180398CA30.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 17
So, it's all done! Had it out for a ride yesterday. It ran great!!! Checked the compression and all cylinders now are at 155-160, big improvement from before rebuild, had two back ones with 0. Now big question, what to do with the vboost switch? It seems to idle faster when switch is to the right, center and left seem to be normal or off? Any ideas on what to do with it or how to check if it is working correctly?

Good for you. A well-deserved ride, I'd say.

On the vboost switch. There are a couple of ways it could be wired. If like the old t-boost that was on the market, it would switch another coil signal into the Vboost controller "fooling" the controller to bring the boost in at 3000RPM due to double the pulses. The only way to verify this config is to ride it and see how it behaves.

If it's a simple on/off switch, even then it kind of depends on how it got wired. The best thing to do is turn the key on, hit the switch and watch the mechanism. A bright light will help. If it moves forward and stays, the butterflies are open. If it's in the rearward position, the butterflies are closed.

If you have a noticeable change in idle, it's probably just an on/off and easy to see that operation.

So, it's all done! Had it out for a ride yesterday. It ran great!!! Checked the compression and all cylinders now are at 155-160, big improvement from before rebuild, had two back ones with 0. Now big question, what to do with the vboost switch? It seems to idle faster when switch is to the right, center and left seem to be normal or off? Any ideas on what to do with it or how to check if it is working correctly?
Does the switch make the VBoost work differently? Try this:

Remove the left scoop, locate the round plug to the stepper motor for the VBoost. Turn on the ignition, and when the VBoost cycles open, and before it can close, unplug the electrical connection. Compare the idle, and the performance to the VBoost while underway, to how the bike idles, and how the bike reacts with the switch in different positions. maybe use your cellphone to record your impressions for each circumstance.

Does the VBoost not kick-in at-all (because it's unplugged, and the VBoost butterflies are always-open)? This will give you that "cammed V8" sound, especially at idle.

Does the VBoost come-in gradually from 6000-7000 rpm? That's the normal function.

Does the VBoost come-in at around 3000 rpm, but the 'push in the back' isn't as-extreme as it is at the 6000-7000 rpm range as the VBoost begins to open and then is fully-open?

Once that experimentation is completed, you can either choose to keep it as it is, wired-in, to play with the settings (pulling into the Bike Night place, switch the VBoost to 'all the time, open' for that great idle sound) to leaving it in the factory setting, where it begins to open the VBoost manifold past 6000 rpm. Or, the 3000 rpm opening setting.

Some heated gloves may make a huge difference in things if you get caught in a frigid weather snap. In the absence of that, hockey gloves are a good level of protection. I have a pair for being out of So. FL. They have inner liners, and they work pretty-well, but not as-toasty as heated gloves would.

These are not cheap, but what price for control over your motorcycle and hours on-end warmth?
Shop Gerbing Heated Motorcycle Gloves & Clothing - RevZilla

I once read about places to keep-warm, and your body will follow:

face/neck
axillae (armpits)
hands
groin
feet

I lived in Michigan for 13 year, so I have winter gear/cold summer gear for the ride. Heated gloves are nice, not probably needed for a summer ride around the lake. Hopefully the July weather is Michigan will be 70-80 degree days and 50’s at night, perfect riding temps.

You have to cut FM some slack. He’s from Miami. He gets cold if it drops below 70.
My blood has thinned-out, though I spent almost 1/3 of my life north of Chicago's latitude, and I learned drifting by piloting a VW air-cooled 4-speed through the lake-effect snowdrifts across local roads in NYS and MI. We just got a bid for adding a natural gas-powered heater to our pool, so we can use it year-round. It's up to about 78 degrees F (26 degrees C) now, but it has to be somewhere above 80 before I'll use it.

Back