96 Vmax1200 - Refreshed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NV - 96VMax

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I picked up a bone stock 96 a few months ago for a little under 4K (USD), and have been looking over the forum ever since. I finally have the bike looking a little more how I like so I thought I'd share a few photos. The previous owner was a Harley guy who just didn't appreciate the bike. This is my 7th bike I've owned (Starting with an old XR350 when I was 14, then ranging from a supermoto, ADV, and a few other cruisers). So far the Vmax is my favorite, and the power definitely has something to do with that.

Since buying it, I've put on forward controls, did a slate grey vinyl wrap (Still need to remove the front fender and wrap it proper), 7" headlight conversion, LED turn signals, and a tinted windscreen. This is the first metric cruiser I've had that doesn't seem like it's just trying to copy the Harleys. I really like the styling that (in my opinion) still holds up if it was brand new on a showroom today. I've always liked the looks of some of the club style dynas, so I wanted to take a little bit of that while still keeping the Vmax style that Yamaha did such a good job with from the factory.

My future plans for this are to get the jetting tuned a bit since it's running a little too rich, install some taller 6" bars (Sacrilegious, I know) , look at getting bigger tank, and maybe track down a stock sissy bar if I can find one.

Thanks for all the good info on here,

Attachments

• Vmax (1).jpg
    Vmax (1).jpg
    716.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Vmax (2).jpg
    Vmax (2).jpg
    691.9 KB · Views: 2
Wondering what size is the front tire? Looks big. The bike is clean. Forward controls and high-risers will definitely put it in the 'ape a H-D' category. I like the pegs more-under me than that. Short of a Buell, the Dynas are probably the best-handling of the Big Twins. Yes, I know many Buells are Sportster engine based. I agree the VMax styling is timeless.

Nice bike. I have the forward controls on mine which is great for cruising but when I open it up, I have to hold the bars with a king fu grip! Can’t dig my boots into the forward pegs too well.

Nice bike. I have the forward controls on mine which is great for cruising but when I open it up, I have to hold the bars with a king fu grip! Can’t dig my boots into the forward pegs too well.
Where are you in FL? Consider posting your bike year and your location with your avatar or in the signature line.

Hello everybody, I picked up a bone stock 96 a few months ago for a little under 4K (USD), and have been looking over the forum ever since. I finally have the bike looking a little more how I like so I thought I'd share a few photos. The previous owner was a Harley guy who just didn't appreciate the bike. This is my 7th bike I've owned (Starting with an old XR350 when I was 14, then ranging from a supermoto, ADV, and a few other cruisers). So far the Vmax is my favorite, and the power definitely has something to do with that.

Since buying it, I've put on forward controls, did a slate grey vinyl wrap (Still need to remove the front fender and wrap it proper), 7" headlight conversion, LED turn signals, and a tinted windscreen. This is the first metric cruiser I've had that doesn't seem like it's just trying to copy the Harleys. I really like the styling that (in my opinion) still holds up if it was brand new on a showroom today. I've always liked the looks of some of the club style dynas, so I wanted to take a little bit of that while still keeping the Vmax style that Yamaha did such a good job with from the factory.

My future plans for this are to get the jetting tuned a bit since it's running a little too rich, install some taller 6" bars (Sacrilegious, I know) , look at getting bigger tank, and maybe track down a stock sissy bar if I can find one.

Nice looking bike! I'm wanting to get the 7" led headlight and sequential turn signals for my 2005.. I'd like to ask.. what did you have to do for the signal conversion? Diode kit? Led flasher relay? I'm trying to learn about the metric wiring on this thing.. 🤔

I did the sequential led conversion. Needed the diode on the turn signal indicator light on the dash and the digital flasher relay. Works good just lost the self cancel feature.

Lovely looking Bike. What make is the Windscreen? Does it stop all the wind from hitting your face? I would like to put one on my 2007 Vmax. Thanks Peter Guerra

Latest posts

Back