97 max hard on fuel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slamfire

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I picked up a 1997 Vmax over christmas. Very fun to ride but hard on fuel. I see the fuel light at 119km

It is running very rich. In the morning when I try to start, I apply the choke and it fires once then just cranks. I have to give it alittle throttle then she idles fine. I also get black smoke when im hard on the throttle

It does seem to bog and miss alittle when its cold but after it warms up it seems good. I only see a slight bog on the highway, but not all the time when i seddenly get on the fuel

i have adjusted the a/f screws to 2 1/2 turns and done the peashooter which may have helped some? Along with new plugs

All i can see is it has cobra pipes. There is a k&n sticker on the bike but it has a stock air filter. The previous owner didnt ride it much and doesnt know to much about it.

Any ideas? Should I pull the carbs?

Hi Guys,

I picked up a 1997 Vmax over christmas. Very fun to ride but hard on fuel. I see the fuel light at 119km

It is running very rich. In the morning when I try to start, I apply the choke and it fires once then just cranks. I have to give it alittle throttle then she idles fine. I also get black smoke when im hard on the throttle

It does seem to bog and miss alittle when its cold but after it warms up it seems good. I only see a slight bog on the highway, but not all the time when i seddenly get on the fuel

i have adjusted the a/f screws to 2 1/2 turns and done the peashooter which may have helped some? Along with new plugs

All i can see is it has cobra pipes. There is a k&n sticker on the bike but it has a stock air filter. The previous owner didnt ride it much and doesnt know to much about it.

Any ideas? Should I pull the carbs?

Probly, clean 'em up, set floats, determine jetting, etc.

My 86 normally gets 90 miles per tank. Good carbs, stock exhausts, runs fine when it's not in pieces on the garage floor.

count yourself lucky.

when I had cobras I was getting avg 160km hwy and 135 in town. think best was 180km. bike was stock carb set up. as dan mentioned prob need the carbs gone thru and adj/set .....oh and those numbers change fast if you getting into feeling vboost a lot lol

My 86 normally gets 90 miles per tank. Good carbs, stock exhausts, runs fine when it's not in pieces on the garage floor.

count yourself lucky.

per tank or to reserve? either way unless its being ridden extremely hard thats a bit low eh?

thats to the fuel light. Ran a tank of seafoam though it but it didnt seem to clear it up. Think ill have to get them off tonight

Check your spark plugs, are they all black or just one, two? My friend got low mileage and only one plug was black, others ok, appeared to be one main nozzle(?) loosen half turn.

what do you mean by main nozzle? The main jet?

Also just realized that you have to take the carb brackets off to clean the carbs. Since I dont have a snync tool yet im gonna have to wait. Ill try the shot gun tonight

Main nozzle, needle pipe? That thing that needle goes in, so I understood of what he was telling me, anyways it is good to check those plugs.

I hauled alot of gunk out of the crabs doint the shot gun. Rans some what better, im going to tear them down

Take your time and totally disassemble and clean them. Replace the gaskets, o-rings and fuel filter. Also take a look in the tank for rust, and check all the diaphrams for tears or holes. There are some great how to threads on here to help you along the way. Make sure to check the jets are in the correct location and size. Reinstall and sync them, and you should be good to go!

Mine gets about 75-80 till the light comes on.. I like the sound but don't ride it that hard but do crack the throttle from time to time. I rebuilt and synced the carbs ad installed a stage 1 jet kit. It ran worse so I went back to stock mains. Still rich at WOT but I'd rather be rich than lean..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back