98 vmax vs 00 gsx-r 600

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98blackmax

Reaction score
My friends girlfriend has a gsxr 600 he says he will smoke me on my stock 98 vmax. I doubt it, any one ever race a 600? I was talking to someone about their max and they said they rarley get beat on the streets, they said bikes like the gixxer 1k and 999xx beat him on long straits but he said " he isnt afraid of anyone on the straits"... should i worry? lol :rocket bike: or will i blow him away?

i know my vmax will get off the line much better, so we should go from a stop right to like 100mph maybe???

thanks
kevin

A lot depends on the rider. I would pick a short stretch and if he beats you, so what? It should be a close race in any case. That gixxer feels more like an electric lawn mower than a motorcycle. Don't let these guys get the best of you. Enjoy what you have and let the bee swarm buzz around. Perhaps you can hide a couple of hundred pounds under his seat or somewhere when he's not looking. In any case, have fun.

Well the Gixxer has a much better power to weight ratio than the VMax however the VMax is easier to launch than the 600. A lot will depend on the rider of the 600 and how long the race is. A stoplight to stoplight race you should be able to win, but the longer the race, the more likely you will lose. Also if the 600 rider is really good at launching the bike under power without looping the bike, it will be a tough race for you.

98blackmax said:
im going to have to talk him into a short race haha
I've never raced against a 600 or 1K bike but did against a Porsche recently. Have also gone against many Harleys, but with them, one never knows if they are on it or not. Probably makes little difference but still fun kicking mud in their eyes. Don't talk about length of race at all. If you can get ahead of him from the start, shut it down and claim victory. Tell him you didn't want to beat him too bad.

I never, never, never race on the street:stir pot: But if you're really going to do this be sure to practice a few HARD launches and a good positive shift into second. Make sure the bike is in the best state of tune and keep the weight to a minunum. Dale Walker has some tips for a good launch. I have a set of wheelie bars also that I toyed with. Boy, can you launch hard with those!!!
Lew

Just get your bike in the v-boost area in 2nd, you should be able to smoke a 600 cc with no problem, I did that a few weeks ago with a 600cc 06 suzuki, his bike ran out of steam even before vboost kicked in @ 6K in 3rd gear.
________
Honda RVF750 RC45 specifications

Last edited:
I run between 11.35's-11.55's at the strip..depending on track conditions and how drunk I am..lol..........I weigh 230lbs...my 60' times are usually around 1.62-1.75

Nearly any late model 600 passes me in the 1/4 in the last 200 or so feet if the guy on it has some practice under his belt....the newbies that don't know how to launch or shift perfectly I can usually take though..........I think most of them weigh about 380-440lbs. and put down around 100-120 at the rear wheel....Stoplight to stoplight you should be able to hand him a surprise but over about 90-110 he's gonna pass you.......

Torques not gonna help you that much on a highway roll-on either since most of these guys have eventually figured out how to downshift and make rpm's and hP the issue instead of torque....same way we manage to still beat those big 'effin V-twins that make so much more torque than we do

The 600's are wheellie happy and hard to launch from a stop...and they are low on torque......But;.......It's hard to argue with 13000-15000 rpm and 400lbs or less .....usually ridden by some squid that weighs 130lbs dripping wet....

Last edited:
firefly said:
Just get your bike in the v-boost area in 2nd, you should be able to smoke a 600 cc with no problem, I did that a few weeks ago with a 600cc 06 suzuki, his bike ran out of steam even before vboost kicked in @ 6K in 3rd gear.

how long was the distance of the race? in a 1/4 mile you wont "smoke" a gixxer 600 stock v stock

A buddy of mine had an 85 vmax and ran another friend that was riding an 02 GSXR 1000 on a straight stretch of road. They are both extremely good riders, both explained to me that the max had the gixxer out of the hole. But the 1000 passed the max after about 100mph. Not to bad, huh!

A buddy of mine had an 85 vmax and ran another friend that was riding an 02 GSXR 1000 on a straight stretch of road. They are both extremely good riders, both explained to me that the max had the gixxer out of the hole. But the 1000 passed the max after about 100mph. Not to bad, huh!

Nope! But the new '07 would have him before 100...:thumbs up: That thing is just flat ass fast! The Vmax out of the hole is a lot easier to control than any sportbike out there.

I have both and not having to worry as much about flipping the bike makes launches a hell of a lot easier IMHO...

Latest posts

Back