A big thanks to Sean Morley

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motox909

Reaction score
I've been fighting with my 99 vmax for a few years thinking it was a problem with the carbs. The bike runs rough when warmed up and in stop and go traffic. It would stall at lights and at intersections when hot. tried all the cleaning methods recommended on the forum and synced the carbs a few times. After talking with Sean, he sent me a package of parts including a set of rebuilt carbs and electrical parts to try. I replaced to carbs and still had the same problem. Turns out to be the pick-up sensor on the flywheel. It went out of spec when hot. Sean helped me diagnose the problem over the phone and supplied the parts to fix it. THANKS again Sean!!! This is a great site.

Ah, I might need some info on this... I have had issues lately, well it doesn't like to idle too much once warm... And I have had Sean redo my carb a couple of years ago, plus picked up a lot of parts in the past year doing Mods...If Sean was a neighbor I would be at his shop all the time...

If its just your idle stalls once warmed up and you take it off, I'd suggest you doing the shotgun: http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Ah, I might need some info on this... I have had issues lately, well it doesn't like to idle too much once warm... And I have had Sean redo my carb a couple of years ago, plus picked up a lot of parts in the past year doing Mods...If Sean was a neighbor I would be at his shop all the time...

If its just your idle stalls once warmed up and you take it off, I'd suggest you doing the shotgun: http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm
hoping it's not fuel, but then again gotta love the ethanol. Sean did my carbs 2011, I have tried to keep them pretty clean with seafoam and compressed air... When it's still warming up it runs great, but stop signs and lights I have to play with the throttle a little sometimes. Starter clutch and starter were done in May. So that solved my oh crap issues. The difference in a 2 vs. 4 brush is crazy.

Try measuring the pickup coil when it's cold and again when it's warmed up and not running well.

I had a pickup coil that would allow the bike to start and to run fine, until the bike got warm, and then it would go 'open,' and leave me by the side of the road. It would crank, but no spark whatsoever. A new pickup coil got me going.

Try measuring the pickup coil when it's cold and again when it's warmed up and not running well.

Hi Sean wish I saw this thread earlier, Do you have any pick-ups for a 96, my garage ordered one and it is in BO, earliest they would get it is July 28th. I do not know if they would want to use a used one, bit on tight assed, being an official Yamaha dealer, but before I ask I want to make sure I could get my hands on one.

I don't have a new unit on hand. They can use a Royal Star unit with mounting bracket as well. Wires up a bit differently but does work! I have a used one of them around here somewhere too. Is yours ohming out bad? They don't go bad very often.

I'm wondering if this could be my problem. I have replaced all 4 coils (all were cracked) and I am still getting erratic idle when warmed up which eventually leads to stall. It's driving me crazy. The Vmax pickup is £408 over here while the XVZ1300 is £176. How different are the two pickups and what needs to be changed on the XVZ to make it work and is it worth doing? I will do a resistance test both cold and at running temp, should they be the same?

Many thanks
Andy

You'll have to make a bracket. There are some aftermarket new coils that are much less expensive then what you're finding too.

I have just done a resistance measurement: cold 100 Ohms and hot just after it cut out 122 Ohms. Not sure where to go from here?

Andy

I have just done a resistance measurement: cold 100 Ohms and hot just after it cut out 122 Ohms. Not sure where to go from here?

Andy

How is your charging voltage while the fan is running? Maybe your CDI box is getting finicky when the voltage drops too low rather than a problem with the pick up?

Aren't our coils supposed to be 3 ohms? Where does this '100 ohms' reading come-from?

The shop manual says, "2.7 ohms +-10%" for the primary coil. That would be the 3 ohms. Where are you reading from? The terminals going into the wire harness from the coils? That's where the readings should be-taken.

The 100 ohms is the pick-up coil in the generator housing and not the ignition coils under the seat/in the front. The charging voltage is 14V at idle.

OK the Hall-effect sensor. Do a search for this subject and you will find a cheap source for the ignition sensor coil. You might have to adapt its mounting to your bracket, but at a price of <$50 USA you can afford to experiment. People on that thread of which I am thinking did just fine w/this setup.

Forget the search, here it is: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29714&highlight=pick-up+coil

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/2000-2007-Yamaha-V-Max-VMX1200-Stator-Pick-up the parts source

Back