A couple issues before roadworthy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
I had issues that I had to deal with over the winter and now that I put everything back together, first, after putting the rear wheel back on its leaking from between the wheel and the rear drive assembly. Second, the clutch lever need to be "pumped up" after sitting before it works, and oh yea, Third, I put new rear pads on and now when I hit the rear lever, nothing, at all.

I got dibs on his wheels!!! LOL

try bleeding the clutch, and the rear brake. also double check the pad install.
and brake clean the rotor.

I got dibs on his wheels!!! LOL

try bleeding the clutch, and the rear brake. also double check the pad install.
and brake clean the rotor.
You want my wheels? Why do you have a few extra thousand dollars and a 250 swingarm?

Ed,
I can help you with the clutch and rear brakes, give me a call if your still having problems.
Bill

Ed,
I can help you with the clutch and rear brakes, give me a call if your still having problems.
Bill

Thank you Bill, actually I have the brakes working now. I just needed to bleed them and apparently just wasn't being patient enough. But I am still having an issue with my clutch. When I first start it the clutch needs pumped up so to speak. I'm not sure why but it's like I have to turn the handlebars to the right and pump the lever and then the Clutch lever works but if It just even sits still after pumping it up it starts losing pressure again. WTF!! I'm pretty sure the piston in the master cylinder must be sticking but it will also leak slightly occasionally. I probably need to buy a mastercylinder rebuild kit and try that. So I'll let you know and maybe if your up for it I'll come over or meet up sometime and go over a few things that have been giving me problems. Thanks alot Bill, I really do appreciate your offer and it goes both ways, if there's anything I can do for you feel free to let me know. Thanks, Ed

:punk:you do have some nice wheels.

hope you get them on the road soon.

Thanks Woody, I appreciate the compliment. But just like a pretty girl my bike can be a real bitch once in a while. Lol, but also just like a hot girl when you look down and see how good it looks I forget all about the problems. Damn, thats kinda scary come to think of it. Thanks again, Ed

Thanks Woody, I appreciate the compliment. But just like a pretty girl my bike can be a real bitch once in a while. Lol, but also just like a hot girl when you look down and see how good it looks I forget all about the problems. Damn, thats kinda scary come to think of it. Thanks again, Ed

Yes, But also like a pretty girl. it needs to be ridden , often.

yeap, but all pretty girls hide a bitch inside right. once and then they take it out to the world too :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Thank you Bill, actually I have the brakes working now. I just needed to bleed them and apparently just wasn't being patient enough. But I am still having an issue with my clutch. When I first start it the clutch needs pumped up so to speak. I'm not sure why but it's like I have to turn the handlebars to the right and pump the lever and then the Clutch lever works but if It just even sits still after pumping it up it starts losing pressure again. WTF!! I'm pretty sure the piston in the master cylinder must be sticking but it will also leak slightly occasionally. I probably need to buy a mastercylinder rebuild kit and try that. So I'll let you know and maybe if your up for it I'll come over or meet up sometime and go over a few things that have been giving me problems. Thanks alot Bill, I really do appreciate your offer and it goes both ways, if there's anything I can do for you feel free to let me know. Thanks, Ed
Ed, if your leaking fluid you are probably due for a rebuild!

Ed, if your leaking fluid you are probably due for a rebuild!

Hi Bob, I figure as much, do you think I can get one from eBay or do you think the Yamaha dealer would have a better quality kit? Let me know what you think. Thanks, Ed

Yes, But also like a pretty girl. it needs to be ridden , often.

Lol, I hear ya, but believe me I do ride it every chance I get. Much to the dismay of my golf buddy's. But I did manage to put about 5 thousand miles on my bike last year. But 0 miles in the rain. I'm a absolute freak for keeping it spotless. Ask Bill K or Garret or Bob from the Pgh run last year. Bill looked at me and said" that dirt is really bothering you isn't it" so I said " yea I guess it is that obvious" as I pulled my polishing cloth out and started cleaning my wheels when we stopped at Ohiopyle. So yea, I do probably spend as much time if not more cleaning her as I do riding but I want to keep it as close to mint as possible.

Yeah, I remember you pulling out the polishing cloth! LOL. Nothing wrong with keeping all that chrome shiny. I would probably go with the Yamaha kit, Ed. Depends on which one you can get quicker. I hate to say ebay after the last few transactions have been sketchy with me. I've never messed with the vmax hyd clutch system, but I've done other bikes and cars with it. Have you bled the master AND the slave?

Yeah, I remember you pulling out the polishing cloth! LOL. Nothing wrong with keeping all that chrome shiny. I would probably go with the Yamaha kit, Ed. Depends on which one you can get quicker. I hate to say ebay after the last few transactions have been sketchy with me. I've never messed with the vmax hyd clutch system, but I've done other bikes and cars with it. Have you bled the master AND the slave?

Come to think of it I only bled the one down by the middle gear cover, i would guess that's the slave? I didn't even think about the master but I don't recall seeing a bleeder up by the master. But when I get home from work today I'll go check it out. And one more thing, when I put the res cover of theres like a gel type of fluid in there. I got as much of it out as I could but wtf could that have been. Unless someone at one time added the wrong type of fluid, I heard that can cause that. I probably should just empty all the fluid clean it all up and start over. But thanks for the tip about the master. Ed

I believe when you bleed the slave it does the master as well, but i was thinking if you had it all apart, its possible some air was trapped in there. If its got "gel" in there, I would think a total disassembly/seal replacement is in order. I'm no expert on these bikes, maybe someone else will chime in.

When I changed my clutch and rear brake fluids they were badly containated with a brown fluid with a slimey/ almost gel like consistancy. I don't know how they even were working! Since brake fluid absorbs water I just figured it was lack of maintenance.
I removed the clutch m/c and took it complely apart and cleaned it up with non-clorinated barake cleaner, rebuilt the m/c and the slave. If I knew it would be such a pain in the @$$ to bleed the clutch I would have bought a SS line at the same time. I reverse bled it when I put on the SS lines last year and it was much easier to do.
I removed the rear m/c , caliper and cleaned up a even worse mess than the clutch. The rear brake even seems to work better after this for some odd reason.:biglaugh:
Funny thing was that the front brake fluid was fresh. :confused2:

When I changed my clutch and rear brake fluids they were badly containated with a brown fluid with a slimey/ almost gel like consistancy. I don't know how they even were working! Since brake fluid absorbs water I just figured it was lack of maintenance.
I removed the clutch m/c and took it complely apart and cleaned it up with non-clorinated barake cleaner, rebuilt the m/c and the slave. If I knew it would be such a pain in the @$$ to bleed the clutch I would have bought a SS line at the same time. I reverse bled it when I put on the SS lines last year and it was much easier to do.
I removed the rear m/c , caliper and cleaned up a even worse mess than the clutch. The rear brake even seems to work better after this for some odd reason.:biglaugh:
Funny thing was that the front brake fluid was fresh. :confused2:

Thanks for the input Brian, I already have the ss braided lines so bleeding isn't too bad. I think you have the right idea though, I'm gonna empty and refill and rebleed the system. My clutch master cylinder is leaking a little so I might as well rebuild that too. :bang head: the last things to do to start the riding season are always the most frustrating. Thanks again, Ed

Bob, that's ok my parts should be back from a fresh new paint job any day now. I found a couple small scrapes under the seat where the grab rail must have rubbed but it will be the same color I'm just having a little ghost work added. That rear fiberglass fender took 20 hrs of me sanding to remove the old paint. I can't wait to see how it comes out this year. But I'll keep you posted. I also added a good bit of chrome over this winter as well. But I don't want to tell too much. I'll be posting pics as soon as it's all done. It should look much better than last year. Ed

Latest posts

Back