A/F question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas-ss-tornado

Reaction score
So on this last set of carbs I rebuilt, the A/F brass plugs had been taken out, and 3 of the 4 holes were EMPTY. I had some spare carbs laying around and was able to insert them into 3 of the 4 holes, but on the forth hole, the A/F won't start threading? Looking into the hole, it doesn't look like the others, almost like they never got the factory one out of this carb and gave up. It almost looks like an Allen head screw in there, but it's stripped pretty good if it was/is an Allen head. What did they look like from the factory, where they allen heads, or just a flat head groove like what I put back in the other 3? :ummm:

Yeah, slot headed brass and they srtip easy! The allen head you're looking at is probly when they drilled a hole and either tried to drive an allen wrench in, maybe a torx head bit or even an ezy out...they can leave marks similar to a moused out allen head sometimes.

Bottom line, it sounds like the carb is 'cooked'! :bang head:

I would have no idea how to get one out that's in that condition. Although if the body is gonna be junk anyway maybe try "lining" the bore hole with wax paper, and trying to epoxy something to the end if it maybe???

Screws need a little finesse and feel. And the right screwdriver.
Just jamming something in there and cranking on it without taking some steps to "feel" its in the slot will ruin them easily.
Using as wide a screwdriver that will fit in the hole is a good idea too, that way it can't go sideways and get on the side of the screw, then bend it.

Would be nice if some previous owners never had any tools at all.

I've had limited success drilling them with some additional 'finessing' but it's not work that I would guarantee....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....and it stands a better chance of success if the PO hasn't completely buggered them beyond recognition.

Back