A little help? Sean? Anyone...ICU?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
I'll send $10 via Paypal to the guy with the answer.

I don't have time to mess around with this thing so let's hit the key things first. My Vmax won't start...big surprise. Its not getting any spark. Same ol stuff, turns over just fine, carbs prime and everything cones on, kick stand sensor works fine bla bla bla.

The story goes:
1) parked the Max a month or so, went to start it and it got no spark so I charged the battery and it fired right up.
2)parked it overnight and the next day had to jump start it again to fire it up.
3)left it a week and no spark while turning over, figuring it was the same thing i threw it on the charger overnight with no result then a couple days with still no spark after long charging.
4) hooked the bike up to my truck battery to jump start, still just turning over and not throwing any spark.

So I want my bike running... The guy who answers this thread first with the winning solution to my problem is ganna get $10 from me. My theory is a bad battery ( but I have an Odessey battery in it holding 13 volts now so it's a weak theory). So let's see it guys! Gimme some ammo!

Re: I'll send $10 via Paypal to the guy with the answer.

i woulda said bad battery, but now i'm almost thinking the cdi.

I think is the cdi or the pick up of the magneto rotor.

I have a dyna 3000 if you want to swap it... you can't keep it, but if you want to "try" it you are welcome to it.

Jeff

Just because a battery has a charge doesn't mean it has the power to spin a starter.

I think its your battery combined with a 2 brush starter.

First thing I would check is the fuse for the ignition. May just be me, but I like to start simple and work my way in. Then start checking connections for corrosion. I would be willing to make an educated guess that you probably washed your bike right before it sat for an extended period and some water got in a connector somewhere. I would also start asking myself what put the drain on the battery, PC680 batteries are commonly stored for extended periods on time while not on a tender and have no problem cranking over the bike when people go to start it for the first time. Corroded connectors can do this to you as well. I would start my connector search under the left side panel and check the connector for the pick up coil.

Just my $0.02

Put new spark plugs in it.

i'd send you my spare cdi to try but its off an '03

The bigger battery box mod cured mine when it used to pull this same kind of shiiite.

Mine would crank and crank, but not fire. Onliest time it would even try to fire would be right when I let off the starter button. Led me to believe the starter was robbing enough of the current that not enough was left to operate the persnickety CDI box.

My guess is the little square relay that is right in front of the CDI box. It has the same colored wires as the coil leads. I don't know it's technical name but will find something to do with the ten bucks, thanks.

My work schedule has me touch and go with diagnosing the issue, I probably won't have time to fully evaluate it until this weekend but in taking note of what's said by who. I'm ganna pick up new plugs tomorrow, not that I think they will wotk bur it can't hurt anyways.

I'm running an R6 r/r and COPs (neither have ever given me problems and are installed with the highest of quality by our own Dave so they have nothing to do with the issue) but what does that mean as far as what z can ANC can't use? I know with the COPs I can't run the Dyna 3000.

If I had to pick a part to replace first yo try and get out of it what would be the most likely and safest bet?(Tci,Cdi?)

The igniton has always acted fine while running so I wouldn't expect a main ignition component to just belly up on it's own while the bike us parked. Just doesn't seem like s Tci would burn out by just sitting.

I would also say that you may have isolated spark plugs. If you don't have a spare set i would recomend to take them out, burn them plenty (they won't melt... :)) and then brush them a bit with steel wool or fine grit sandpaper. Check the gap as well by the way (if you have 3 or 4 terminals sparkplugs its a pain). This is a common issue with 2 stroke engines due to oil on the spark plugs terminals when sitting for long...

My work schedule has me touch and go with diagnosing the issue, I probably won't have time to fully evaluate it until this weekend but in taking note of what's said by who. I'm ganna pick up new plugs tomorrow, not that I think they will wotk bur it can't hurt anyways.

I'm running an R6 r/r and COPs (neither have ever given me problems and are installed with the highest of quality by our own Dave so they have nothing to do with the issue) but what does that mean as far as what z can ANC can't use? I know with the COPs I can't run the Dyna 3000.

If I had to pick a part to replace first yo try and get out of it what would be the most likely and safest bet?(Tci,Cdi?)

The igniton has always acted fine while running so I wouldn't expect a main ignition component to just belly up on it's own while the bike us parked. Just doesn't seem like s Tci would burn out by just sitting.

check out gannons COP harnesses, they *should* work with the dyna.

Changed the plugs no difference... Wondering if it's a bad contact. Otherwise what should I replace first? Cdi, pickup coil?

You have an '85, which means you have the "old" analog TCI. It is not uncommon for the analog ones to go bad. I'd contact Sean, he can probably hook you up with a "try and buy" TCI. If it's the problem you keep it and pay, if not then send it back just pay shipping. You also have the old 2-brush starter, which could be in desperate need to a freshening up and drawing mucho amps, sucking the voltage down too low. Swapping for a newer 4 brush wouldn't be a bad idea in any case.

Put a multimeter across your battery and punch the starter. Note what the voltage drops to as the motor is spinning. The "general" spec is about 9.5 volts minimum while cranking but more is better. Mine reads about 10.4 or so, stock size Odyssey battery. pc680 or something. Going on 4 years old now.

For shitz 'n grins, try bump-starting it with a fully charged battery. It's a common problem on quads and dirtbikes when they won't start using the starter, but fire right up when using the pull cord or kick start.....the voltage drops too low when the starter is working to spin it over and there's weak/no spark.

Otherwise, coils don't usually go bad just from sitting. Not impossible, but when a pre-'90 bike has no spark, it tends to be because the TCI box shit the bed.

Latest posts

Back