A lot of different tire and rim combinations.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone and I hope the holidays are going smooth for all of you. I've been on the fence about what tires to go with for my 2001 V Max and have tossed around the ideas of bigger rims and the cost is a little steep for my budget. I decided since I use my Max for tinkering around and not pushing the bike hard as I would have in my younger days, I'm just going with stock tire size and scored a nice deal on some Michellin Commander II tires. I hope I made a good decision here and looking for some input. They seem to be great tires, all the reviews are good, and my old Dunlop's are in need of replacement. Plus the handling is sketchy as of now and my fork rebuild/upgrade is next on the list.

I really thought about going with some sweet looking aftermarket rims in a larger size, but I'd rather put the money into improving the bike and making it look better. I've been reading all the different threads here and what a valuable resource the site is for us V Max owners and came to the conclusion I don't have to go crazy here and spend money I don't really have in trying to improve something that I really don't ride that much. Let's face it at 55 years old and finally getting a V Max after 25 years of not having a bike, my days of high speed driving and doing questionable things on a bike are over over. I just want to cruise my Max and take it to some shows and show off what a beauty she is. Thanks for reading this and any suggestions you have, I'm open to it.

Soon to be 30 years on a VMax, and many years on various literbikes before I got that, my opinion is, the #1 best improvement you can make is to go to radial tires. Yes that probably requires a change to either a 17" or 18" rear wheel. Used rims are out there, I have a machinist who can make 'em from scratch. He adapts the VMax spline hub to which size wheel in the rear you want/can afford. You can use the front VMax wheel, the width isn't optimal for the width, but if you go with the OEM tire width, a radial tire can work. You want to use the same compound and design, from the same manufacturer, for tires. Mixing tire rubber grades and methods of manufacturing is not a good idea. Yes there are some bikes, a H-D among them using a mix of radial/bias tires. Let engineers do that.

If you don't plan to ride at 130+ mph speeds, an 'H' rated tire could work for you. However, some shops (dealers especially) are not going to do that-liability, since the bike is capable of far-more speed than the 130 mph 'H' tires.

The VMax will track better at speed, straight-line or on curves on radials. The difference is significant. Some say, "I can't tell the difference," but I suspect my riding style differs from theirs. The difference between a premium bias ply pair of tires and a radial tire pair is less when both are new. My experience is the radials maintain their feel longer, while as the bias ply tires wear, hitting 1,000+ miles, stability and handling especially in the curves cannot match the radial tires. Again, some may have a difference of opinion, this is my experience.

Since you just invested in new tires, enjoy them, and just ride within your limits and the sense of grip and precision your tires afford you.

I've ridden bikes for people asking me to test a bike before purchase, and I always suggest fitting the best tires they can afford for the type of riding they intend to do. I've ridden VMaxes where the tires are 'knackered' as our over the pond friends say, where the rear end steps-out when turning, or if grabbing a handful of throttle. A less-experienced/skilled rider could easily lose control because of worn tires. They are a maintenance item and you need good tires to have safety, dynamic response, and effective braking for that aggressive driver, the Starbucks-slurper, the iPhone yakker, or mom yelling at the kids misbehaving in her minivan.

Last edited:
Hey Mr. B MERY CHRISTMAS and all that stuff. I put a COMMANDER 2 on the front & a 3 on the back. Put them on both of my vmaxs. A 1995 & a 2004. I love them. You can really get into a curve and carry a lot of speed coming out. But the main thing is they bite great. Night and day between them and the Dunlaps I did have on the bikes. I think you will really like them.

Hello everyone and I hope the holidays are going smooth for all of you. I've been on the fence about what tires to go with for my 2001 V Max and have tossed around the ideas of bigger rims and the cost is a little steep for my budget. I decided since I use my Max for tinkering around and not pushing the bike hard as I would have in my younger days, I'm just going with stock tire size and scored a nice deal on some Michellin Commander II tires. I hope I made a good decision here and looking for some input. They seem to be great tires, all the reviews are good, and my old Dunlop's are in need of replacement. Plus the handling is sketchy as of now and my fork rebuild/upgrade is next on the list.

I really thought about going with some sweet looking aftermarket rims in a larger size, but I'd rather put the money into improving the bike and making it look better. I've been reading all the different threads here and what a valuable resource the site is for us V Max owners and came to the conclusion I don't have to go crazy here and spend money I don't really have in trying to improve something that I really don't ride that much. Let's face it at 55 years old and finally getting a V Max after 25 years of not having a bike, my days of high speed driving and doing questionable things on a bike are over over. I just want to cruise my Max and take it to some shows and show off what a beauty she is. Thanks for reading this and any suggestions you have, I'm open to it.
For a fat tire look an handles just as good as stock. This is hard to beat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210-164358.png
    Screenshot_20221210-164358.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
For a fat tire look an handles just as good as stock. This is hard to beat.
I really like the Shinkos too. Lots of grip, hard to beat if you dont ride alot. I am goin to try the Commander 2's for this riding season though. I have been wearing out the Shinkos quicker than usual. Plan on more of the same in '23. Had to put a Dunlop D404 on the back in a pinch to get me home from the last trip. Been slipping and sliding since. Cant wait to get that thing off.

I really like the Shinkos too. Lots of grip, hard to beat if you dont ride alot. I am goin to try the Commander 2's for this riding season though. I have been wearing out the Shinkos quicker than usual. Plan on more of the same in '23. Had to put a Dunlop D404 on the back in a pinch to get me home from the last trip. Been slipping and sliding since. Cant wait to get that thing off.
Yeah I hate them Dunlops ! I run a Shinko Radials on my Goldwing to. I don't get the life of some of the other touring radials but that big tank seems to stick to the road. I have had an Oh shit moment but it was from me pushing it hard & one time Last year when we were riding in Virgina and that slick shit was all over one section. I think we all found it .

I do have one set of silver Carrozzerias which are incredible handling wheels. They are not a cheap budget purchase but will enhance the bike more then any other mod.

Do yu have any photos of them and if you don't mind, I'm curious about the asking price.
$2500 plus postage. Some of the other parts are available too (motor and supercharger are sold)

Attachments

• 294457844_5192124017562307_8973978424604421724_n.jpg
    294457844_5192124017562307_8973978424604421724_n.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 8
Man I would love to splurge on those Carro's... Anyways, back to reality :)

I am about to make an order for new set of tires and wanted to see if you guys have any comments on my choice of rubber.

Rear wheel is Thundercat's 17" rim and I am looking to get Michelin Road 6 170/60 for it and for the front stock rim Michelin Road 6 120/70.

I know that rear should be good, but not sure on the front 120 and a lower height of 70. I currently run Metzeler's 888 110/90 and after swapping the rear rim front tire height looks odd, so I thought I will go lower.

Will 120/70 on the front stock rim cause any problems?

I didn’t know Michelin made a rear tire for the 1st gen Vmax.

H-rated (130 mph) not V rated (to 149 mph):

Brand: MICHELIN
Seasons: Year Round
Size150/90-15
Rim Size15 Inches
Section Width150 Millimeters
Tire Aspect Ratio: 90.0
Bias-ply
Load Index Rating74.0
Speed Rating: H
Load Capacity: 827 Pounds
Rim Width150 Millimeters
$113

1682799862345.png
  • Each front Commander tire size is tailored to the unique handling characteristics of each bike by a combination of profile and casing designs
  • Rayon carcass ply instead of polyester for a compliant ride and stable handling
  • Aramid belts in the rear Commander, instead of less costly fiberglass, controls the centrifugal growth on the tire allowing a large contact patch, excellent traction and wear
Sold by Avid Cycles in CA on Amazon

Size150/90-15
Rim Size15 Inches
Bias-ply
Load Index Rating74.0
Rim Width150 Millimeters
$113

View attachment 88800
  • Each front Commander tire size is tailored to the unique handling characteristics of each bike by a combination of profile and casing designs
  • Rayon carcass ply instead of polyester for a compliant ride and stable handling
  • Aramid belts in the rear Commander, instead of less costly fiberglass, controls the centrifugal growth on the tire allowing a large contact patch, excellent traction and wear

Size150/90-15
Rim Size15 Inches
Bias-ply
Load Index Rating74.0
Rim Width150 Millimeters
$113

View attachment 88800
Hey old friend I know u haven't heard from me in a while I still have a bunch of left shoes to give away but I managed to keep my right leg ( well until my new wife finds a reason for me to lose it while I'm sleeping lol) but anyway hope everyone is doing well. I don't want to hi jack this thread but why don't you tell them about the benefits of frame bracing ? I know you know more about it than me ! I just know it made a big difference on mine. Glad to see ya still helping out the members 😎

Back