A 'mature' mechanic, metalworker, and artist, now in TX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I've spent some time on the jockeyjournal.com forum, and found this thread. If you don't mind what "Click and Clack," of "Car Talk" fame called, "time-wasters," then this next thread is for you.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63234

Dick Gambino is skilled in the metal trades, he's done some amazing things, and this thread is about someone who made Dick's acquaintance, and who has spent time documenting Dick's work. Dick is a motorcyclist, and his son is too, they like British bikes, and I'm not speaking of the new ones, but the Meriden Triumphs, the BSA's, the old Nortons.

I had heard of this guy before, who was able to build a replica classic Bugatti by hand, from a bunch of photographs. I didn't really find much about him, other than that mention, but here is his story. He's an old drag racer, he raced flattrack as a young man, and if you take the time to read a few pages, I think you may bookmark the thread, to be able to read more when you can afford the time.

His shop is in NJ, and he does work because he's intrigued by what's asked of him. He has a lot of vintage metalworking machines, and frequently makes his own tooling to get a job done.

I'm about halfway through the thread, and because I wanted to post this I went to the last page, to make sure this wasn't a story where the artist had died. Thankfully, he's still with us, and he's moved from NJ to Midland TX. He's got his shop going again, so this is someone who's in that area you may wish to seek-out, if you need work done. Be warned, he works on what he wants to, and if he agrees to do it, you can be sure it's going to be done right, at the price he gives you.

During the thread's nearly 50 pages, there are constant 'factoids,' metalworking lore that may be known to some but which could make your next job easier if you recall what Dick Gambino said. Look for them, and if you aren't completely satisfied with what you read, "your $ back!"

I think you're gonna enjoy reading about this fellow. :worthy:

Last edited:
Good story FM
Being born and raised in Midland Texas myself I can certainly relate.
Many drag racers from this city and competition is tough.
Not a whole lot to do for entertainment and local police would run you off the streets at 10:00.
I lived 1 block away from the Gambino's in Midland.

Awesome story!

There is a treasure trove of examples of amazing craftsmanship on that forum. I've spent hours and hours reading stories and looking at photos there.

Mu grandfather was a Blacksmith that came to America at 16 years old.....by himself. His Mom was a widower and he came here to work and send money back to Italy to support his family there.

He eventually owned a welding and repair shop in Jersey City NJ.

I often think about how much more I could have learned from him if I had understood how valuable his experience and knowledge really was.

I stepped away from the JJ forum when I stepped away from my Triumph Bonneville project due to lack of time......being consumed with my own business. Time to get back to it!

Back