A must when bringing home a new bike to the stable!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpick77

Reaction score
Well this is actually my first post other than introducing myself. About 2 weeks ago I finally took the plunge and purchased a Vmax. I had always wanted one and had been browsing for some time. Well, I pulled the trigger and made a 4 1/2 hr trip one way to pick her up. I actually purchased the bike used from a dealer. The bike was owned by a father of one of the salesman. After a 10 mile test ride and a thorough look over the 2006 was loaded up in the truck and I was headed back for the homestead. After putting about 80 miles on the bike I decided to change the oil and pull some maintenance. A new yamaha filter and some rotella in the crankcase. Almost immediately noticed it found neutral easier... Coincidence??:ummm: After checking everything else I went ahead and checked the air filter. Figuring since the bike only had a tick over 3200 miles I figured it probably had the stock filter. Boy was I surprised when I found what I found!!! Remember that this is a super clean low mileage specimen.
:surprise::surprise::surprise:

Needless to say I cleaned out the mess. Vacuumed thoroughly and reinstalled until I get a new one. Should I go for the k&n or stock???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 141
hEC955D3A

Congrats on getting the Vmax. Just think how well it ran WITH an air cleaner full of junk, now imagine it after.....

In other words, "Shit that a bike dealer is supposed to do before selling a bike!"
That's why I do a thorough safety check of a bike that I am going to ride and don't know or that comes into my collection. I'm sure you all would know why.

Little high methane from mouse piss fumes might have helped also !!
I don't think urea has any methane in it. You may be thinking of all the little mouse turds in there emitting some methane.

I put a box of Decon brand mouse bait next to every overhead & walkin door to my garage. Every once in a while, I see a D.O.A. mouse lying in the middle of the floor, and one time there was a mouse that actually got past those temptations and built himself a fine nest in one of the workbench drawers, but he didn't last long once I put an extra box of yummies right next to the nest. So far, I've been extremely lucky where my bike air filters are concerned.

I don't think urea has any methane in it. You may be thinking of all the little mouse turds in there emitting some methane.

I put a box of Decon brand mouse bait next to every overhead & walkin door to my garage. Every once in a while, I see a D.O.A. mouse lying in the middle of the floor, and one time there was a mouse that actually got past those temptations and built himself a fine nest in one of the workbench drawers, but he didn't last long once I put an extra box of yummies right next to the nest. So far, I've been extremely lucky where my bike air filters are concerned.

Dont you have too many cats...to have mice running around?

Makes one want to take a screwdriver for the airbox when thinking of purchasing another bike. Wonder what the salesman would say when you start taking it apart to inspect it??? lol

I recommend the K&N, and keep the stock as a spare for when you do your annual filter cleaning. (takes a day for the filter to dry properly after cleaning)

Urea power! Better draw-up the budget for your mods...

One of my acquaintances uses stick-down vinyl flooring cut into thirds, sticky-side-up, of-course, & placed along the baseboards of the garage. Any critters walking on those, 'stick-around.' That way they don't go off & die somewhere where you can't reach 'em like they will do from poison, this method is much-easier of a clean-up.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm saving for the K&N. Luckily we do not have a rodent problem in our garage. Two shop dogs and a lazy cat named Bugsy takes care of the pests. The previous owner only put 600 miles on the bike in two years. I would say that is where the varmint came from.

Dont you have too many cats...to have mice running around?

The cats aren't allowed to reside in my garage. They would be making cat nests on top of the bike seats, or dusty paw prints all over the car/truck windows etc... Had one get locked in there all day by accident a few years ago, and he nearly tore the blinds off the windows trying to sit on the sill and stare outside.

Same thing happened to my '85 a few years ago.. Amazing how much crap they can jam in there! Now, I jam a steel wool ball into the intakes on the airbox.
Keeps them out over winter storage.

funny that this just came up as an issue for someone else. last week i went to fuel up the 09 and i noticed something lodged in the rubber fuel neck cover-reached in there with my little finger and pulled out a piece of dogfood!! when i got home i was able to extract another 23 pieces with a pair of tweezers. i live in an apartment above the garage and i do have dogs but unless one of them is sneaking out for joyrides while im at work, im pretty sure i got a varmint on the loose. been trying to spray foam all the holes and the traps r set but these guys r pretty smart. i can actually see where they have licked at the peanut butter on the trap but havent put enough pressure on it to spring it. as far as whether to go back to stock or not my motto is-if it comes off and there is something that looks better than the stock part, it gets the upgrade. GO BIG OR GO HOME!! that being said it looks like im headed in the same direction with the 09 as i did with the 97.

Attachments

• my new 09 vmax.jpg
    my new 09 vmax.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 10
  • super cycle showcase-best in show!!.jpg
    super cycle showcase-best in show!!.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 11
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back