A new owner with a couple questions...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2dawson

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a couple years while searching for a Vmax and bought one tonight, a '93. I haven't even picked it up yet (5 hour drive Tuesday) and I have a couple questions. The bike has a Corbin seat on it but I have my choice between it and the stock seat. The seller won't include both. Which should I take and what should I offer for the stock one if I want both?

The bike has a Supertrapp exhaust on it, how loud is it going to be? Should I be looking for used stock exhaust?

It has no center stand, will a center stand work with the Supertrapp if I can find one?

Thanks for the help.

It shouldn't be too loud. This is what mine sounded like when I ran trapps w/12 discs.
You'll be able to keep the center stand with the supertapps unless the previous owner cut the tabs off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNIoC_B4A4Y

As far as the seat, its a matter of preference. Some don't like the corbin and prefer to the the stock seat re-shaped (you can also get the corbin re-shaped too)

I would see how you like the corbin, then put on the stocker. (it doesn't take too long to swap out a seat.) If you want them both I'd cash flash $125 to see if he jumps.

Like KJ said about the seat, its a matter of preference. I never liked the Corbin because its too wide for me and made the inside of my legs hurt when sitting at a stop. See if you can try both first before making a choice. I never really use my center stand except for doing oil changes and working on the front/rear wheels anyways, so I would never miss it. Its sitting in the corner of the garage collecting dust at the moment!

Thanks for the comments. I hope the tabs for the cente stand are still there. I will try both seats before making a choice.

i would take the corbin and like kj said try 125 for the stock. if he refuses u can always get a stock one later on for about 150-175.. corbins are a hell of a lot more than that.

If you're tall, you'll like the Corbin for all but it's VERY hard feel and the fact that it looks like a Horse Saddle.

Stock is OK for around town, but anything over 40 miles and I was hurting. Sean Morley can fix it up and make it look better and feel better or TwistedMax can get you one of his new seats as well.

Make sure you put the bike through its passes before plunking down the money. Look for a solid 2nd gear and solid clutch feel.

Where in IL are you?

Chris

IF you determine you need a stock exhaust, I just pulled mine, its in mint condition. Oddly enough, I am going to a set of super-trapps, if you decide in a big hurry, we might be able to work something out, my pipes haven't shipped out yet as they seller is all out at the moment.

...Where in IL are you?

Chris

I'm near St. Louis.

IF you determine you need a stock exhaust, I just pulled mine, its in mint condition. Oddly enough, I am going to a set of super-trapps, if you decide in a big hurry, we might be able to work something out, my pipes haven't shipped out yet as they seller is all out at the moment.
I'll try the Supertrapp first and maybe try to buy stock later. How much do you want for your's?

I've been lurking here for a couple years while searching for a Vmax and bought one tonight, a '93. I haven't even picked it up yet (5 hour drive Tuesday) and I have a couple questions. The bike has a Corbin seat on it but I have my choice between it and the stock seat. The seller won't include both. Which should I take...

I've been riding for almost six months now. am 5'9", 165#. when i bought my max it had a corbin on it and the PO threw in the stock gratis. i interchange them periodically, but have been slowly leaving the stock one on longer and longer. perhaps it's because the PO primarily rode with the corbin and has worn it down that i find it kind of harder than the stock, or maybe because of shape of the corbin, i don't know. i do find myself getting monkey butt on extended journeys with the stock seat. this i do know: the corbin is way more expensive than the stock. so if i were you, i'd go with corbin and if you don't like it, pony up the money for a stock one. hell of lot cheaper than going with stock and then buying corbin....or save your cash and get a maxgasser or a morley muscle, and sell the corbin--i like that idea better
eusa_dance.gif

AND GO FOR THE TRAPPS!!!

I have A SportMax Seat, a Corbin, Sergeant and a stock seat. So far, I like the SportMax, then the Corbin.. Stock seat comes in last.... I'm 6'2" at 200 lbs.

I have an 89 with the tabs cut off for the centerstand... I use the centerstand all the time on the 94...

I'm near St. Louis.

I'll try the Supertrapp first and maybe try to buy stock later. How much do you want for your's?

Well, ideally if you know you don't want the trapps, we could get a trade going of some sort. If you decide down the road you want the stocker, we'll have to come up with a fair price, probably around $100 and shipping. Keep me posted, I've already laid down the money on my Super-trapp pipes, so if we are going to do a trade, I would need to give the seller fair notice, once they get my parts moving I'd be firmly locked into them.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the world of VMAX ownership. You will find this forum a valuable resource to have!

I run the traps and like them. I run 6 discs with open ends and its not that bad! Yes, you'll be heard unlike the quiet stockers, but you want your bike to make some noise to be noticed by the insane car drivers! I would just stick with the trapps. Not sure why he's running 12 discs unless hes all rejetted. You might want to ask all that on his setup so you have it documented such as carb setup with main & pilot jets, needles, etc......

You can run the center-stand with the trapps unless he modified the mounting for it somehow.

As to your seat. Most I know have either the the morley muscle seat or sportmax seat which is just a reshaping of the stocker. The corbin is a hit or miss and I suggest you ride with both if your debating between the two before you get it. Perhaps buy the stocker too and then you can always sell off the corbin on here thereafter.

Another option is the new maxgasser seat which is a full replacement. Twistedmax on here is a great guy and its a really really nice seat if you have the money to spare for it.

Just my 2 cents....

Not sure why he's running 12 discs unless hes all rejetted. You might want to ask all that on his setup so you have it documented such as carb setup with main & pilot jets, needles, etc......

Just for sound, 6 discs per side was not the sound I was looking for. As far as re-jetting I dropped the mains to 147.5 several months later and that was it. I didn't have to, but it made things a little more crisp in the midrange. The only real performance gain I got from supertrapps is the weight savings and sound.

Center stand is heavy . Keep it off for weight savings. Get a lift or use front / rear bike universal stands for maintenance .

Welcome to the addiction and watch for the monkey with carb chains .

I've had the stock, SportMax and both versions of the Corbin. The only one I could use on a trip was the Corbin. If you have the latest version of the Corbin (with the plug instead of the flap over the gas filler), I have a friend that will buy it right now if it is in good condition. I have used Corbin seats for at least 15 years and have taken numerous trips that averaged 500 miles a day (only one on the Max though) and the Corbin was always great. The firmness means it won't pack down on long trips and the width supports your whole backside. I often use a sheepskin cover though, especially when it is hot, to reduce monkey butt. The cut-down seat (SportMax) caused pain in my private area after only 80 miles or so. I used it for one trip to Waco (about 160 miles) and sold it on eBay the next week. That upward curve in the front put pressure on places that were not comfortable!!! This is just my experience and varies from others preferences.

Latest posts

Back