A new way of unclogging the idle circuit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
Its very hard to get the A/F mixture screws out while the carbs are on the bike NOT any more! to clean out the idle circuit easily and without too much fuss:

1- Back up the A/F mixture screw all the way.

2- Stick the tip of a 60cc syringe at the hole of A/F & quickly suck air out with the syringe, if done fast enough and you pull the syringe away before all suction is over the screw head will protrude enough to pull it out carefully with your fingers.

3- With the screw out put the syringe tip & repeat sucking air and forcing air in several times, this will clear any obstruction in the idle circuit.

4- Set the A/F mixture screws to what works for your bike, on a stock bike 2.5 turns are spot on.

5- screw + spring + washer + o-ring that is the order.

Attachments

• 60ccSyringe (800 x 510).jpg
    60ccSyringe (800 x 510).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 83
Thanks. This will will for most except a plugged pilot fuel jet.

Thanks. This will will for most except a plugged pilot fuel jet.

First time I did it the two rear ones offered some resistance then opened up, the front two were OK, now when I close them the engine stumbles so it worked for my problem. its not a cure all thing if fuel passages are clogged it might not help, though some fuel comes out of the hole.

I use a syringe too, I got it when I was taking a phlebotomy class. When I asked for it, the instructer got an odd look on her face and said, " what do you need a syringe for?" When I told her, she laughed and tossed me one.

These syringes have a ton of uses when working on your max. They can also be filled with the carb cleaner of your choise and blasted into the a/f screw hole with screw/spring removed. Suctioned to clean circuits. It's endless. I made a fork fluid checker in a flash one day using a block of wood and some auto brake line. Best invention since tits.
Steve-o

Make sure all choke plungers are bottomed out, press all of them in with your finger , sometimes the linkage is slightly out of whack and does'n get the plungers all the way down and seated. Also you may have more than one or two O rings stuck in the carbs that aren't acting right to A/F screw adjustment, They are difficult to get out sometimes, I have a small stiff pick with a hook on the end to fish the hard ones out. Then you may have to do the shotgun treatment again, somtimes you don't get all the fuel circuits clean the first time. When I do the shotgun treatment, I have very little left in a new can of carb cleaner when done. Don't forget to wear safety glasses when working with carb cleaner!!!

Back