A Quiet Exhaust ??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidecarjohn

Reaction score
I fully appreciate this one will not sit well with some enthusiasts on the forum, but here goes.

Our '07 bike was purchased with a 4 into 1 exhaust. Looks good, really sensible with the exhaust exiting on the opposite side to the sidecar mounted on the left (our choice). However, whilst the exhaust note might appeal to many, it really doesn't suit our approach to motorcycling (our choice, again).
So, any ideas ? Maybe to amend the can, or an alternative fittment ?

For the record, our view doesn't subscribe to "Loud pipes save Lives", more the "Loud Pipes Lose Rights" stance. After all the blind cager turning into your path is ahead of you and loud exhaust noise surely dominates those behind. Equally, with the power the bike develops, knocking a little off, if that's the consequence, isn't going to be a deal breaker.

Finally, are we pleased with our acquisition ? YES !

LOL...me for one, I dont have an issue with this...everyone here, personalizes his/her bike their own way.

The quietest exhaust that I know of is just the stock exhaust. You might get lucky, and trade someone straight up for the 4 to 1. Its probably a 4 to 1 Kerker exhaust. If you don't want to go back to 4 into 2 (stock) I believe the 4 to 1, might have a competition muffler on it...you might see if you could get a quieter one for it. Sean (one2dmax) sells a lot of used parts, and might be able to get you situated.

Eric

We're not all the same here , just the commonalty of one of the icons in the motorcycle industry. It was built to go fast and look like a hot rod bike. The sound / noise is built in. The 4-1 was added for more power which results in more sound. Chances are it also has a jet kit to take advantage of the pipe. Unles you go back to stock with 2 stock pipes & cans , I don't think you are going to realize a much quieter VMax . You could build or have built for you , a longer and over- baffled single can . Good luck. This is not a issue we deal with very often , but welcome you as a brother , no matter your preferences in the amount of stimulation of the auditory nerves. :punk:

I wonder if mark has a design for a quiter can?

Personally I like the deep sound rather than the loud-look-at-me-HD-sound. When ever I get an adventure bike, on that bike I will pretty much be trying to get it as quite as possible.

I would suggest to get a stock canister from another bike that has the same inlet diameter as your mid pipe. They are cheap enough, as most people are removing them from their bikes to put an aftermarket one on. Look at stock cans from an R1, R6, etc...

The other way to, is to get an aftermarket canister/muffler with a removable baffle (also called a DB killer) to quiet down the exhaust sound.

Mike

I am one of those that doesn't like loud bikes also. After trying Supertrapps, Jardines and Kerker slip-ons, I went back to stock. In my group there are the following full systems: Dale Walker, Kerker (both baffles) and Hindle. All too loud although the Kerker with the quiet baffle isn't as bad as the others. I would like a little better sound than stock (and lighter weight) but haven't found a setup that sounds good without being too loud. (To me)...

Coming from a guy who has a set of VERY loud pipes I welcome you to the VMF. Kind of ironic you choose to ride what most consider to be a Metric HotRod that resembles more of a brutal power hungry monster that eats pavement than most motorcycles out there, I'd say go for it and at least relish in the muted stocker pipes.
That aside, I agree and learned very quickly that most CAGERS will do what they want regardless of who or what's in their way. My pipes get me noticed and often have an effect of reminding others that I'm coming or I'm there. This effect doesn't have an effect only on drivers. Pedestrians will hear me from at least a city block away and hell yea, I turn heads alright. That turned head is what may help them from stepping out in front if me (or others). Loud Pipes do save lives. They do get you noticed. There is never a 100% guarantee on anything, but I assure you, as I slow down to make that right, put my signal on, pull in my clutch, throttle, drop a gear or two, throttle again, release and turn.. I promise you, I'll be noticed over a Stocker anyday.

KarmaKatt
VMOA 5652

Really impressed with replies. Honesty and helpful in double quick time. Will certainly follow up on possible Yamaha alternatives, as well as Fire Medic's useful suggestion.

Fully respect the differences between us all, goodness I've got a sidecar attached. However, I can assure you that our Max still has the ability to be something of a hot rod and so surprises those who might have a preconceived opinion at what some old hack is capable of.....

Really impressed with replies. Honesty and helpful in double quick time. Will certainly follow up on possible Yamaha alternatives, as well as Fire Medic's useful suggestion.

Fully respect the differences between us all, goodness I've got a sidecar attached. However, I can assure you that our Max still has the ability to be something of a hot rod and so surprises those who might have a preconceived opinion at what some old hack is capable of.....

I love it :rofl_200: outstanding :clapping:

I think your best bet is to pick up a super trapp. you can adjust the sound level buy adding or subtracting disks. I don't much like the tone of the sound when you close them down, but it does reduce the level quite a bit.

I have a Kerker on mine. Not near enough loud for the freshly blue rinsed old widows driving suicidal Buicks hell bent on making Bingo on time around these parts. Half of the old farts never even stop at intersections and I have serious doubts they even know they exist but that "minor" factor doesn't stop nor affect them in the slightest degree. They just blast on regardless an a devil take the hindmost attitude. It's no wonder they outlive other mortals, they just knock us poor saps into oblivion and then complain about "new fangled rubber tires" and the like. And don't get me started on how the new Great Grand baby needs to be checked in hourly via the cell phone without a rotary dial whilst producing a veritable myriad of fucking coupons from WW 2 at the checkout at the Supermarket.

Chris.

The re-jetting might be a bear I don't want to fight KJ. My Kerker slips off correct carburation unless it's ramped hard through the revs every few moments to clear it's throat.

Chris.

Jetting isn't that bad with it, other than dropping a main jet size, I didn't have to do hardly anything with it. I ran a single trapp for a while. It actually roars pretty good when you want it to, but with about 4 discs in place it was nice to be around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33-PyY9TaZ4

Yes, I have one of the complete 4/1 Supertrapp systems for my FZR1000 which makes use of one of the cans KJ pictured/linked-to.

By checking craigslist I got a sportbike/literbike NOS take-off ( a couple, actually) and w/a bit of fabrication, I got a very serviceable exhaust for about 1/3 of the Supertrapp shipped price. "Do more, with less!" The jetting w/my Stage 7 kitted carbs doesn't seem to have any issues since I switched from the UFO 'bologna-cut' to the UFO megaphone, to the literbike take-off can, once it was originally jetted to the UFO full-system.

But, if you want a bolt-on and don't have the facilities, skills, contacts, or initiative to mess-with the stuff I did, then the Supertrapp route is quick and easy (if not-cheap) way to go.

Fully respect the differences between us all, goodness I've got a sidecar attached.

That bends my mind, a little. That has the potential for a lot of fun at the expense of others. What kind of sidecar?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'd also bet there are guys out there that would be willing to trade you for a stocker or quieter exhaust.

If you can, listen to one in person. Theres a large selection on YouTube (of SuperTrapps) to listen too. I had a set before my UFO's with 4 Trapps (Discs) and a solid end plate w/Stock Headers. It was quite a bit louder than Stock although that can be adjusted by removing Trapps and keeping a solid end vs. Open end Plate. I really enjoyed the deep tone of the Slip-on's as well.

Latest posts

Back