Abnormal engine sound

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubari

Reaction score
1988 full power vmax. When driving there is metallic symmetric sound coming from engine..lower parts maybe, after stop, engine at idle, the sound fades away after a while. Its same in any gear and dosent seems to come from cylinder blocks..even the sound is little bit like valve clicking, but valves are ok, done them last year. Nothing when cold starting. Looks like sound comes only after driving and dosent start if warming engine when parked.
Suggestions please ?

Water pump ?
Oil pump?
Starter clutch?

Thank's
Mikko

Take a long screwdriver with you on your next ride and when i starts making the noise pull over and start touching the screwdriver on the parts of your engine that you think might be making the noise put your ear to the handle of the screwdriver and see if you can hear it thru the screwdriver, sort of a poor mans stethoscope if you will, i've done it to help me find odd noises on my bike it works.

Good idea. I have located that the sound is coming from back cylinders. Maybe the camshaft chain tensioner is worn out? Is it an automatic tenssioner? Can i just open it up, push it in one notch, or should i replase whole tensioner or just the spring?

Seems to me I've read some posts from the past, re odd noises like this. Aren't the exhaust header pipes double walled, and sometimes welds break, making the inner walls vibrate? Anyone that has had their exhaust off the bike would be able to elaborate on their construction.
Cheers!

Just the front headers are double walled.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Seems to me I've read some posts from the past, re odd noises like this. Aren't the exhaust header pipes double walled, and sometimes welds break, making the inner walls vibrate? Anyone that has had their exhaust off the bike would be able to elaborate on their construction.
Cheers!

but theres a lot of shields and crap around the rear headers. I know from experience that with temperature changes some of those bolts can undo and let the metallic parts get loose causing metallic sounds. Check that the bolts that hold the header shields and the triangle shaped chrome shield are tight or wiggle parts to see if you find any loose.

These engines can be noisy and still run well. Other things to check are chain tentioners. Make sure the chains aren't loose. I inspect mine every year, which may be excessive, but I'm a fanatic. An oil pressure gauge is something every Vmax needs. Older Gen 1's should get an orange o-ring inspection and an oil pump upgrade can benefit all. IMHO. A cheap bore scope is a useful tool to have in your box. The E-bay endoscopes were under $20 last time I checked. They are lighted and plug into a USB port on a lap top.
Steve-o

Yeah, I'm quite sure that the noise is from chain. Is the tensioner in gen1 automatic? Is the way i described earlier good way to increse tension on chainn ?

Good idea. I have located that the sound is coming from back cylinders. Maybe the camshaft chain tensioner is worn out? Is it an automatic tenssioner? Can i just open it up, push it in one notch, or should i replase whole tensioner or just the spring?

Yes maybe...
Open the valve cover before, so you can check the chain tension.
If needed you can push the tensionner 1 or 2 notches.

Back