ABS light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxman376

Reaction score
I have a 2018 vmax with 18k on it. Lately the abs light will start flashing. I can turn off while going down road and reset. Light goes off and will stay out for 2 to 3 weeks then randomly come back on. Anybody had trouble with this problem.

From the service manual...

THE ABS WARNING LIGHT FLASHES
1. Check whether the T/C terminal (green/yellow) of the ABS test coupler is short-circuited to the
ground when the test coupler adapter is removed.
• If the T/C terminal is short-circuited to the ground, the wire harness is defective. Properly repair or
replace the wire harness.
ABS (ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM)
8-85
• If the T/C terminal is not short-circuited to the ground, the internal circuit of the meter assembly 1 is
defective. Replace the meter assembly 1.

I have a 2018 vmax with 18k on it. Lately the abs light will start flashing. I can turn off while going down road and reset. Light goes off and will stay out for 2 to 3 weeks then randomly come back on. Anybody had trouble with this problem.

Do you have an aftermarket integrated tail light?

I get this when I take off and the rear wheel burns out, resulting in a large difference in rear/front wheel rotation. Restart the bike and it's gone. Not much different that when you are on a dyno and the rear wheel is turning, but the front isn't. The ABS light blinks the entire time.

A common issue with the aftermarket integrated tail lights is that they cause intermittent ABS faults. The fix is to wire a resistor in the circuit. I've done it both of my Gen 2's.

Not sure I have any documentation on the fix, I'd have to look when I get a chance.

It's another one of those things that was "lost" when the other forum went down.

I have a integrated taillight but I tried the resistor and didn't work. Still to this day only happens about every 2 to 3 week's.

A common issue with the aftermarket integrated tail lights is that they cause intermittent ABS faults. The fix is to wire a resistor in the circuit. I've done it both of my Gen 2's.

Not sure I have any documentation on the fix, I'd have to look when I get a chance.

It's another one of those things that was "lost" when the other forum went down.

interesting, my ABS light has started flashing after some hard braking a couple times but just thought it was contributed to the hard braking. it might be linked to the integrated tail light i installed. Where does the resistor get wired? I'm assuming in parallel with the brake portion of the tail light? What size resistor?

Not sure I have any documentation on the fix, I'd have to look when I get a chance. It's another one of those things that was "lost" when the other forum went down.
It's 2021 and mine has just started doing the same thing. Has anyone dug up a fix since this thread was started 2 years ago? I had an integrated tail light/indicator installed a month ago so it seems to be related. Here in the UK it is not legal to have the indicators integrated so I have separate units. They are LEDs and so have the resistors wired in, but it means that the integrated tail light doesn't have resistors. Maybe that is the problem.

Back