adaptive cruise, collision avoidance tech and motorcyclist mortality.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
I watch with anticipation as auto companies roll out cars with accident avoidance technology and prototype many other new technologies to compensate for the growing surplus of innatentive and impaired drivers. Cars that "see" hazards and react without driver input, how many of our fallen fellow motorcyclists may still be with us if this tech were already mainstream?

Most of my close calls were being rear ended sitting at a stop or oncoming traffic turning left in front of my invisible ass. I lane split when I must between cars at intersections and avoided accidents on two occasions using this practice. I have one eye in the mirror at all times and live on because of this. We as motorcyclists have added risk and added responsibility, my point being that most experienced riders have this hypervigilance that carries over to motoring our cages. Adult riders are far more likely to get hit than to hit so I'm not suggezting that such tech would be bennificial on a bike but more to a bike. With so many motorists that cant be bothered to put down the effing phone and makup im intrigued by this new breed of cars packing idiot compensation. Anyone else have thoughts or insight on this?

I think I'd have to see it in real life. I see a good possibility that when the car avoids one accident it creates a tremendous potential for a different accident without the drivers being in control.

I welcome any aid that will make riding, driving, cycling or walking near vehicles safer.

I don't think it is just for other 'moron' drivers either. It takes only a split second when ones attention is diverted elsewhere to encounter something completely unexpected for an accident to happen. This can happen to experienced but sometimes over confident drivers as well as those who are oblivious to all around them.

There has only ever been one occasion where ABS saved me from a nasty accident and for that reason I welcome driver aids.

I've also experienced a demonstration of Electronic Stability Control (ESC) where we twice did the same exercise first with it switched off (we spun uncontrollably despite me being a driving God [not]) the second time with it on where the car stayed in control and in a strait line.

Electronics don't go to sleep, let their minds wander or talk on mobile phone etc. and IMHO those who think that they will always be better than the electronics in all circumstances are deluding themselves.

Will the car automatically turn the wheel or hit the brakes to avoid a crash? Need more Info. The more I think about a different scenarios, the more I don't like it. I do heavy highway roadwork, and I can think of several ways that technology doesn't have the ability to adapt to our work situations. My best example is when we have lane closures. Every time, we'll have someone,or several people, driving through our work zones. We have lead in signs, orange barrels, arrow boards, cones every 40 ft. When you stop them to get them out of our zone, You know what they say? My GPS told me to be in that lane. Technology won over common sense. Technology has it's place, but I still think there has to be a balance.

I also have questions about things like this "safety" truck

how many pixels will a bike take up?
will "Sorry, I didn't see him on the TV" be an acceptable excuse?

150619-samsung-safetytruck.jpg

Will the car automatically turn the wheel or hit the brakes to avoid a crash? Need more Info. The more I think about a different scenarios, the more I don't like it.

What it can (and can't) do. With the electronics currently it may not always stop a collision in all instances but it should reduce the impact...and the systems will only get better.

here

The only ones I have seen so far apply brakes., not aware of any in pruduction that take the wheel. I would take my chances with AI over some drivers I encounter. It still seems far from perfect but a step in the right direction possibly, and better than a talking/txting motorist which seems to be a growing problem. I really look forward to seeing how good these systems can be and what the failsafes might be.

Back