Added a bike to the stable...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
Well, its been killing me waiting on parts so i can ride my V-max. Ran across a killer deal on a 98 TL1000S. Had been laid down back in may and bike was impounded. I got it from the guy who bought it from the storage facility. Well, it was a project that never got started(literally, he never even started it). Only saw crummy pic's of it. When i arrived to pick it up, i was there a total of 15min. I saw it has some aftermarket bits and figured that at worst, i'd have to replace the motor(these motors are cheap).
Had it up and running an hour after unloading it! The bike does have some rash on the plastics on the left side as well as on the front fender and very slightly on the bottom of the left fork leg. Left exhaust can has a small hole poked in it but its on the inside and does'nt seem to leak. There is also a palm sized dent in the left side of the tank.
Was pleasantly suprised to find:
Remus Carbon Fiber dual slip-ons
Powercommander II
Clear tail light
Dual round LED bulbs in tail
Tail light integrator
Painted aftermarket undertail
Carbon Fiber(fake) rear hugger(has a crack and a small piece missing from very back over tire
K&N filter in excellent condition
Braided SS brake lines front and rear
New pads front and rear(very new)
Busa 6 pot calipers(these came with 4 pot calipers)
Heli-bars(one was bent but i straightened it)
Like new Michelin pilot rear tire(190/50ZR17)
VERY good front tire(dunno make)
Corbin front seat(rear seam has come loose. Needs recovering)
Throttle lock cruise control

The bike needs a chain and both sprockets(pretty badly too) as well as a windshield(was'nt broke, it was just removed and original bolts tightened down). Also needs some mirrors.
I did have to bend the rear brake lever straight as well as make a new "toe tab" for the shifter lever as it was broken in the fall. The left side slip-on was yanked off and required some "effort" to re-install. Has a small exhaust leak there but does'nt both me at all.
The bike has 21000 mi on it and seems to run very well. Very comfy especially with the heli-bars adjusted all the way up and at a comfy angle.

I REALLY, REALLY like this bike. Sounds very tough! So far, i've put about 40mi on it. I'm already wanting to start moding it!!!

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 41
Loox like a lotta fun! And other than that little roadrash, in great nick.

Nice..

Now if you got a second motor, could you make it into a V4 2000? ;-)

They will prolly outrun a V-max as-is. Makes around 110ish to the rear wheel stk and weighs in just under 500lbs. Can make in the mid 120's with simple mods(exhaust, PC). 'Bout like a V-max. Can get into the 130s at the wheel with some work, but to get more it takes $$$ and LOTS of it! Good thing is that it can be lightened up fairly easily. Can get it in the lower 400's which would be WAY fun. Handles VERY well too.
I like your think'n though. 200rhp and 160lb/ft of tq would be just about right(2000cc V-4)

Looks in pretty good shape apart from the faults you pointed out:thumbs up:

Back